NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI Package Management Idea Exchange

Post your ideas that are related to NI package management. This includes NI Package Manager, NI Package Builder, creating NI packages (.nipkg), distributing NI packages (.nipkg), managing feeds, and more.

Post an idea

NI Package Manager currently only allows you to upgrade to newer versions of a package, not downgrade to a previous one, regardless of whether it would be compatible with other packages or not. For users that need to support applications built in an earlier version of the development environment,  the ability to revert to a previous combination (to ensure compatibility/minimum differences when doing a change for example), would simplify that process a lot. -Instead of having to make real or virtual backups of these continuously. Come to think of it it would be really really nice if the NI Package Manager alternatively could allow you to manage such development-environment snapshots for you(!).

A  related solution/idea would be to allow users to override the uninstalls currently forced by NIPM when uninstalling a package these depend on.

-In my case I would sometime want to be able to do this just to be able to then install the same (if a repair fails anyway) or a previous version of the package anyway. NIPM can warn me that this will render some other package useless due to a dependency to the package I am uninstalling - but let me choose to do so anyway (because I know that it will be a temporary issue as I will fix that with a new install afterwards).

What: installing a package on a newly installed machine where only NIPM has been installed. Dependencies to e.g. DAQmx Runtime and Labview Runtime

The problem: the installation will fail as NI Package Manager does not know the feed locations for the dependent packages. If these packages had been installed previous and uninstalled, then the feeds would be known and the installation could pass.

Proposed solution: Whenever a package requires NI products as dependencies, the Package Manager should automatically search / add the feeds from NI.com and install them