LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post an idea

Hi,

Stacked shift registers always has the most recent value at the top, no matter in which direction you start your mouse drag on the shift register node:

SR_drag_normal.png

Sometimes it could be more optimal to reverse the stacked shift register direction, just for the sake of neat wiring. In that case it would also be necessary with a visual aid (in addition to the tooltip which isn't visible unless you hover your mouse over the object) telling you which is the most recent value; the one at the top or the one at the bottom:

SR_drag_new.png

This "dimming" of the older values in the stacked shift register also makes it easier to tell a stacked shift register apart from ordinary shift register that just happen to be very close together.

Cheers,

Steen

This could be in addition to the existing Express VI called Elapsed Time. This function or VI is simplified: without all the String outputs, and not an Express VI. Smiley Happy

23546i5DF46C9212B20D7D

For us working in larger projects, with several developers involved, source control is used frequently. (What I've 

seen many use Subversion/Tortoise, btw, so support for that would be great.) Checking out/in VI:s would be

very handy to be able to do from a button on the VI:s own toolbar, instead of having to find it in the tree structure

in the project.

I would like the worfkflow to save a new class/library/project to be more like Save As... when creating a copy.  Mainly I would like the option to either use 'Current folder' which puts the class/library in the current directory, or the option I would almost always use, Save which creates a new folder with the class name and puts the class inside.

NewClassSaveDialog.png

When selecting an icon to use for an executable, labVIEW requires it to be in .ico format. There are converters online but some users may not have internet access, labVIEW should do this conversion automatically when the file uploaded is not in .ico format.

I'm not sure how LV populates the tree under Options -> Menu Shortcuts, but I've been longing now for to long te be able to have some SCC actions (most important checkin/checkout) under a shortcut key. Same for several add-ons in that settle under the Tools menu, a couple of them I would like to have accessable via a shortcut key.

So the idea is simply to make everything in the menu available for configuring a shortcut for it.

The simple suggestionis, in case a search is initiated from a diagram or front panel (by a right-click aciton), to memorize internally where that query was sent from, and provide a link back to that place in the Search Results window.

Of course if the Search is initiated by a Ctrl-F, it is probably a lot more complex to restore the situation to what it was before the search (windows could have opened, or be brought into focus, etc), so I am not including this in the suggestion.

Case study:

I find a reference, or a terminal, or whatever that belongs to a control or an indicator.

Now, I want to check all the places where a Property Node for this object appears.

I right-click >> Find Property Nodes and get the Search Results window opened.

Now, should I select any of the hits and try to "Go To" it, I instantly loose the location I started from (and where rather naturally, I may very well want to come back to resume work).

Of course, as a possible workaround (assuming I think about it, which is unlikely), I could drop a simple bookmark like #0 and once done with my PN exploration, go to the Bookmark Manager and find where #0 is located, but I will probably foget to do that most of the time.

PS: this is different from this idea, although the title may make it sound similar.

Rewrite the CAN Frame API library by using the 4x2x2x4 connector pattern for each VI.

Currently, the 13 (thirteen !!!) patterns (4x2x2x4, 4x2x2, 4x1x2x4, 4x1x1, 4x3, 4x2, 3x1x2, 3x4, 3x3, 3x2, 2x4, 2x3 and 2x2) lead to wire bends and make the alignement of the VIs more difficult.

21229iFF8ADD1D8AF4B5F5

An image explains this best:

stripbookmarkname from bookmark text.PNG

Removing the bookmark from the text when it is already displayed as the group name will reduce the level of information noise in the bookmark manager, and make it easier to read the bookmarks.

I would like to be able to collapse code so that it looks like a sub vi but is part of the main vi as if it was not represented as a icon. Double click to edit it like a vi. Options to convert it to a real vi. This would be useful for glue logic, being able to build and share more complex functions without a lot of subvi's. Decrease cross linking of VI's and naming problems. Attibute nodes and locals could be used inside ot them without passing a reference. Would make source code control simpler.

I don't like and don't use the Auto Grow option of structures. Therefore, I always uncheck Place structures with Auto Grow enabled in the LabVIEW options. A visual mark on the structures or a specific entry in the Find and Replace dialog box would help me to locate these structures on inherited VIs.

Auto Grow structure.jpg

Auto Grow.jpg

I thought at one point I saw an idea similar to this but I can't find it. I would like to be able to set window appearances different for the development environment versus when running as an exe. I get tired of setting all my windows to dialogs, then I realize I overlooked something which freezes my program, but I can't abort because there is no way to get out of the modal dialog I have opened. I then have to exit LabVIEW. Then I have to go change that window to non-modal, add the menu bar, etc while I debug, then remember to change it back before building the exe again.

I propose being able to have a run-time and development environment window appearance options independent of each other to avoid scenarios like this.

Inspired by a breakpoint discussion I looked at some Menu Selections that I do not use.

View>>Getting started Window... is one of them.   Don't get me wrong! I like the GSW it has many useful features like all my pinned items, online links, the RSS feed.... Basically all the features that justified the new GSW in the first place BUT, it opens "Modal" and closes after the first actionSmiley Sad  If I want to do a few things I need to reopen the GSW and of course I can't do anything else while the GSW is openSmiley Sad

BUT! I thought to myself, "Jeff," I said to myself "wouldn't it be just peachy keen if the GSW opened Floating (Hide while LabVIEW is not active) when launched from the Menu?"  After all FP.Behavior is run-time settable.

After much patting myself on the back for such a brilliant thought I figured I had better share that super-dooper idea with the community!

LLBs always had the capability of marking a VI as toplevel.

I wonder if it would be possible to set a flag inside a VI so a VI is recognized as such from within e.g. windows explorer. (e.g. different default icon). Since this requires OS integrations, I don't know if this is even feasible.

Still, It should at least integrate with the LabVIEW project.

The default settings could be very simple:

• A VI without any defined connectors in the connector pane is "toplevel".
  • If there is at least one defined connector, the toplevel designation is lost.
  • There should be a way to overwrite this in VI properties.

Many times, people attach a zip full of VIs without telling us the name of the toplevel VI, so this idea would limit the number of candidates to inspect.

Hello,

For the moment, when you want to create a Packed Library you have first to create a LVLIB. Smiley Sad

The PackedLibrary build specification is based on a LVLIB ...

PackedLibrary.png

It would be nice to be abble to create a Packed Library the same way as a Shared Library (DLL). Smiley Happy

• Be abble to choose every VI to publish : The exported VIs are automaticcaly 'public'
  • All other depending VIs or 'always included' VIs would be private ! 

Shared Library.png

Thanks a lot.

Manu.

I have searched for a similar idea (or even a discussion of the underlying problem) but couldn't find a good hit, so here is it.

Let me start with an illustration of today's trigger to this suggestion:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

I have got square miles of real estate available to the right of the diagram, so I would expect the super-clever engineers at NI to have tuned the insert algorithm so that it nudges the indicator slightly to the right to make space for the "Transpose" primitive.

Instead, I get this:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Of course I can select the two objects and choose "Diagram Clean Up" (probably one of the rare instances where I would dare use the dreaded tool!), but I would argue that an intelligent diagram editor should be able to do that automatically.

Note that I am not even talking about insertion WITHIN a structure or towards the innards of a diagram.

Here the failure is complete, EVEN when autogrow is enabled (which I did very temporarily for this illustration):

ScreenHunter_003.jpg==========>ScreenHunter_004.jpg

Notice that the For Loop DID actually grow A BIT, but definitely not sufficiently for a satisfactory result.

In the absence of enabled autogrow (which is my normal use case), I would suggest the insertion to actually do some limited cleanup afterwards... Maybe something like that:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

I am not saying this will always be possible, but at least try!

And, oh, BTW, this problem is definitely part of the illustration of this idea (and probably should be promoted to the status of a bug, IMO).

My idea is something that I brought up on this thread

The number of history points associated with a chart can only be set by right-clicking on the chart. There can be cases where a user or developer will want to be able to set this value programatically, either using controls or calculating it based on other data.

Jeff

I would like to have "Local Variable Manager" menu option in Edit menu of  VI.

It will be usefull to rename local variables, change representation of numerical local variables and view number of instances.

VI

Local variables manager window will be like as shown below.

v2.JPG

One can rename local Variable(Control/Indicator),find terminal,indicator/control on right clicking name, can change numeric representation of control or indicator.

Prashant Patel

I would often like to directly compare numbers within an array control stretched vertically and with fixed-width font and have tried in vain in the past to include the sign of the number automatically so that alignment is not lost between psotive and negative numbers.

I'd love to be able to display the sign always (+ and -) so that I can maintain constant number width in my displays.

nonuniform number formatting.png

The digits under the long fgreen line SEEM to be the same decimal palce, but they are not.  The shift due to the sign is hard to spot and makes a cursory glance insufficient to distinguish numbers from each other.

I know I can get this done using minimum field width and padding with spaces but why can't I just show the sign?

That's all.

Shane.

Windows 7 Snap is a killer feature I really enjoy. One problem: when snapping LabVIEW Project windows, you get a wacky-huge project, whereas I would like a nice, thin project along the side of the screen. The width of the snapped project could become an environment setting.

Intiating the snap: 

Win7SnapInitiate'.png

Current wacky-huge project:

Win7SnapBig.png

Proposed LabVIEW Project Snap Size:

Win7SnapThin.png