cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Life Lessons #2 - Delivery is all

swatts
Active Participant

Hello Sourcecode Sweeties

Here's the second in my series of short articles, each one will be about something that we've learnt over many years of writing industrial software.

It's all about delivery.

Strictly speaking this should be #1 as it is the foundation of everything we're about.

As it's clear from the discussions here we take a rather contrary and brutalist approach to LabVIEW and project management. The reason we have the confidence to take that stance is that we DELIVER. It's actually very difficult to argue against.

And before anyone says it, we don't just do easy projects. In fact a reasonable percentage are given to us because they have gone terribly wrong (we call them rescue jobs).

I guess you'll be more interested in what the secret to delivery is.

1. Tenacity

Projects can be tough, this week I started out with 2 projects and both had hardware that wasn't working. I could have thrown my hands up in the air and got frustrated or knuckle down and solve the issues. By Friday everything was working and once again my Engineering Ego is recharged.

When a fixed price job goes wrong, the hourly rate reduces. A sound business case is to walk away from these jobs. That sucks! Try to avoid doing this.

2. Checklists

One of the best aids to finishing a project is a checklist of work, it can be ticking off requirements, or tests or even open issues. If you find yourself stalling on a project, make a list of things to do and pick a couple of easy ones and a difficult one. One of the nice things about some of the formal Agile techniques is concentrating on a manageable list of tasks in a set period of time, it's very powerful.

3. Character

Are you a starter or a finisher? Be honest do you really love the start of the project, all the fun bits are the early design and customer interaction or do you love the feeling of satisfaction you get from signing off a project.

I'm about here...

Starter.png

10 years back it would have been 80/20 in favour of starting, so perhaps finishing on projects improves with experience.

4. Teamwork

If you are a flakey artistic type it's likely you'll be good at starting, but poor at the more detail oriented tasks related to finishing. The cure? Find someone to do the finishing for you. This can be a colleague or even a customer. One of our customers has a vested interest in detailed testing of our code and he's really good at it. In my opinion we make a good team.

Within SSDC we support each other, so when a project becomes challenging we know that there is someone there to talk it through with. Sometimes it's just nice to have someone to share the responsibility.

5. Experience

Alluded to this earlier and research has backed up that teams that have a history of delivering will most likely continue to deliver.

So remember: people won't remember that your software is clever, your unit tests are well organised, your methodology is bang up to date, you're really highly qualified and you have fantastic documentation. But they will remember if you take a lot of money and don't deliver anything.

Here endeth the lesson

Steve

Steve

Opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Fab,Joerg and Brian amongst them):
DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop

Random Ramblings Index
My Profile

Comments