From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI User Group Blog

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Announcing LabWindows/CVI 2013 SP2

Anna_K.
NI Employee (retired)

I am pleased to announce that LabWindows/CVI 2013 Service Pack 2 which includes 90 new bug fixes and several toolkits, is now part of your Standard Service Program and available to download.

Toolkits Now Included with LabWindows/CVI

Many toolkits are being added at no cost to LabWindows/CVI, and certain add-ons to help you be productive. You can activate these toolkits in any version of CVI provided you have access to LabWindows/CVI 2013 SP2. If you currently don't have access make sure to renew you membership in the Standard Service Program (SSP) to grant access. Use your existing LabWindows/CVI serial numbers to activate these toolkits. These changes are live as of August 2014.

The PID Control Toolkit is now included with LabWindows/CVI Base and Full versions and the SQL Toolkit in addition to the Execution Profiler Toolkit is included with LabWindows/CVI Full. In addition, the NI Real-Time Execution Trace Toolkit is now included with the LabWindows/CVI Real-Time Module.

Toolkit

Licensed with Product

PID Control Toolkit

LabWindows/CVI Base and Full

SQL Toolkit

LabWindows/CVI Full

Execution Profiler Toolkit

LabWindows/CVI Full

NI Real-Time Execution Trace Toolkit

LabWindows/CVI Real-Time Module

Notes:

• Once LabWindows/CVI 2013 SP2 is installed, a LabWindows/CVI serial number will activate both the development environment and the appropriate toolkit for LabWindows/CVI 2013 SP2 and all prior versions of LabWindows/CVI installed on the machine (LabWindows/CVI 2012 and prior).
  • LabWindows/CVI Base customers will be able to purchase SQL Toolkit and Execution Profiler Toolkit separately.
  • The Execution Profiler Toolkit has been licensed with LabWindows/CVI Full since 2012.

Changes to the LabWindows/CVI Release Cycle

Please note that as of 2014, LabWindows/CVI will follow a two-year release cycle.

lifecycle 2.png

Thanks and happy programming,

Anna Kozminski

LabWindows/CVI Marketing Manager

» Download LabWindows/CVI 2013 SP2

» See a list of Bug Fixes

» See What's New in LabWindows/CVI 2013

» Renew your SSP membership

National Instruments
Comments
User002
Not applicable
Please note that as of 2014, LabWindows/CVI will follow a two-year release cycle.

Very disappointing...

ebalci
Active Participant

So that means next major release will be CVI 2015, right?

I hope this excludes the Service Packs (2013 SP3, SP4, etc). Does it?

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
Anna_K.
NI Employee (retired)

That's right. The next major release is LabWindows/CVI 2015 and we will release Service Packs between major releases. There there is no plan to release additional Service Packs for LabWindows/CVI 2013.

Thank you,

Anna Kozminski

National Instruments
Anna_K.
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Wolfgang,

The typical behavior for a large portion of LabWindows/CVI users is to upgrade less frequently than once a year due to the longer lifecycle of their projects, so this change should align closer to that cadence. However, not everyone follows the same upgrade practices, so let's talk further about your applications! I will contact you directly to chat more.

Thanks,

Anna Kozminski

National Instruments
Hbru

She is right,

We have customers with CVI 4.0, 5.5, … ) and we have to keep those revs so we can support each and every customer.

It’s a mess, but it has to be that way.

All new projects get the latest and greatest.

ThomasEDoyle

I agree with Wolfgang. The two year cycle for new releases is a disappointment. Just look at how long it has taken CVI to attempt to become C99 compilant. In addition, If Anna's argument that a two year cycle better supports customers needs, then why doesn't LabView follow the same model. I think a more likely explaination is that CVI has become a second tier product. Looking at the attention that LabView receives in comparision to CVI supports this position. Just look at any recent NI new letter.

Kevin-PTP

I disagree as long as SP's are fourth coming and immediate work arounds are offered for urgent issues. As far as CVI being a "second tier product" surely this has been the case for many a year, you can't expect the same level of investment that LabVIEW gets, which must make NI considerably more money. And if you have ever tried to work on legacy code in LabVIEW the plethora of versions is a massive headache!

User002
Not applicable

Hi Anna,

I am wondering if the new two-years release cycle has any effect on the Standard Service Program - in the past, there was a price difference between a SSP for two and for three years because a SSP for three years included one more software upgrade. Now, having a SSP for three years seems to be as good as one for two years, at a higher price...

So, are there any plans to double the time a SSP is valid as well?

Anna_K.
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your question! We will be adjusting either the timeframe or price of the SSP program to reflect the new life cycle. The changes will go into effect with the release of LabWindows/CVI 2015, we are in the midst of planning those adjustments right now.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Anna Kozminski

LabWindows/CVI Product Manager

National Instruments