Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Software Sessions at NIWeek 2011

Elijah_K
Active Participant

Every NIWeek I try to compile a list of recommended sessions for you gurus that are hoping to expand your G horizons, pick up some new skills, or dive deep with advanecd capabilities of LabVIEW.  This year, identifying a 'short-list' of recommended sessions is proving especially difficult, due to the abundance of very technical and advanced content that is being presented this year.  Of course, you can always expect to find sessions on new products and new features, including 'What's New in LabVIEW 2011,' but I've tried to highlight the sessions that are especially technical and relevant to those of you who care about software engineering and developing large applications.

As an example of this, we have more sessions on Object-Orientation (OO) in LabVIEW than we've ever had.  This list doesn't even include some of the more basic sessions on OO, which I would highly recommend if you're just getting started.

You can find the full session abstract and presenter information in the session catalog, but I've given a brief explination of the value I think you'll derive from each session.  Also, if I've missed any please feel free to let me know in the comments.  Thanks, and see you at NIWeek 2011!

Eli

Tuesday

10:30: Hands-On: Manage Reusable Code and Build Commercial Add-Ons with VIPM - If you've ever found yourself struggling to actually reuse code across applications, you need to learn more about VI Package Manager (VIPM).  It's also a great way to get reusable libraries that other people have created.

1:00: Building Quality LabVIEW User Interfaces - If you're trying to break free of the highly-recignizeable LabVIEW GUIs, this session will give you some tips and tricks for how to make them look more professional.

2:15: Hands-On: Software Engineering with LabVIEW - Get your hands dirty with Subversion, VI Analyzer, Unit Test Framework, etc... it's a lot for an hour, but you can take the exercise manual with you.

3:30: Trends in LabVIEW OOP - I believe that the highlight of this session will be a glimpse at the latest version of the Actor Framework, which is an increadibly powerful framework that will benefit many advanced LabVIEW programmers.

3:30: Advanced Error Handling in LabVIEW - the name explains it all: frankly, any power user needs more than the native error handling tools and this will be an opportunity to see a very powerful API developed by some of our systems engineers

4:45: Hands-On: Intro to Object Oriented Programming in LabVIEW - this will be a chance to step through exercises that introdce important patterns like the State Pattern and the Factory Pattern.

4:45: The LabVIEW Compiler and Memory Management Techniques - dive deep with members of our R&D team on what makes LabVIEW tick

Wednesday

10:30: Hands-On: Software Engineering with LabVIEW - Get your hands dirty with Subversion (SCC), Requirements Gateway, VI Analyzer, Unit Test Framework, etc... it's a lot for an hour, but you can take the exercise manual with you.

1:00: Hands-On: Intro to Object Oriented Programming in LabVIEW - this will be a chance to step through exercises that introdce important patterns like the State Pattern and the Factory Pattern.

1:00: Team Based Development Techniques, and the Impact of Source Only - Dive deep on source only and the use of source code control. I believe the tool of choice for this presentation will be Perforce.

2:15: Software Engineering Tools for LabVIEW - I'll be presenting as much as I can on software engineering within an hour, including source code control, code reviews, requirements management, etc... (yes, this is a shameless self plug)

Thursday

10:30: Tips and Tricks to Speed LabVIEW Performance - Darren always delivers with this session, and he always updates it with some new insights each year. 

1:00: Building Plug-in Architectures and HALs - This is a new session that I'm especially looking forward to presenting.  I will attempt to show the State Pattern and the Factory Pattern inside of an hour and how they can be used for a Hardware Abstraction Layer

2:15: Software Engineering Tools for LabVIEW - this is a repeat in case you couldn't make it on Wednesday

Elijah Kerry
NI Director, Software Community
Comments