NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fazekasc

Create a way to use the find/replace tool to select actual steps in the TestStand sequence editor instead of just listing matching text values in the find window

TestStand already has an awesome tool to change multiple steps at one time, but you have to select all of those steps first by clicking on them with the mouse and using the shift and ctrl click methods.  This works fine for a few steps here and there, but when you have 1000 steps you need to select that are scattered among 1500 other steps, it turns into a two day project.

I'd like to see something else that's different than the find/replace window that gives you the option to select and highlight the steps you just searched for in the sequence editor.  It could be a checkbox in the find/replace tool window that gives you the option to either search for the text and display the text matches in that window, or to select the actual steps in TestStand.

I just had this problem, and ended up creating some ActiveX code to automatically blast through my sequence and change hundreds of NumericLimitTest step types to Action step types.  That example code was attached to that thread.
5 Comments
run321

Hi Fazekasc,

good idea. I would like to have such a tool, as I have the same problem.

The example code you mentioned is not attached any more (at least I can not see it).

Could you please send me the example code?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

M.Schreiner@geze.com

fazekasc

Hello, there's another forum with example code like this:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Programs/Creating-a-Sequence-File-Iteration-Tool-Replacing-Absolute...

I'll be presenting this topic at NI week this year and will have more sequence files to upload in about a month.  I don't have anything I can upload at this moment.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

M.Schreiner.

If you think it is a good idea, you should vote for the idea by clicking the Kudo star!

fazekasc

Hello, see attached TestStand sequence files as examples for automating repetitive development tasks, such as changing step types, changing step adapters, adding sub-sequences, adding local variables, and more.

These examples are basic and are intended to get you started developing your own unique tool sets, so they most likely won't work for exactly what you need right out of the box.

fazekasc