LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vix

Add full C++ support

I add this new idea based on the info on this thread.

I know that this idea is almost the same, but the basic reason is quite different.

I think that C++ offers much more flexibility for the development and it is a much more powerful approach for the future.

Now CVI uses CLANG/LLVM compiler, that is a C/C++ compiler.

But, as written by Luis from NI

Supporting C++ entails far more than just the compiler. For example: the standard C++ library (including templates, etc...), the APIs of all the standard CVI libraries, the source editor (auto-indentation, coloring, etc...), code-generation from the various wizards, memory runtime checking, debugging, etc... so, even though the compiler does support it, for all of CVI to support C++ is still an extremely large undertaking that has to be weighed against other, competing work that's going into CVI.

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
4 Comments
Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

I have a comment Smiley Tongue

In my opinion this suggestion should address Measurement Studio, where APIs, libraries, source editor all are available - the 'only' change required to me seems that Measurement Studio would need to support LLVM.

Of course it would be nice to have 'everything' in one package, but we all know that reality is different and it was much effort to bring LLVM to CVI, it took 4 years (CVI2013 and CVI2015) and as a result no other suggestions could be implemented.

Given this reality I really prefer having improved tools for C instead. 

But I could support the idea of re-uniting CVI and Measurement Studio if this would double the NI resources available for CVI++ Smiley Happy

vix
Active Participant
Active Participant
Honestly speaking, it's not 100% clear to me what is the basic difference between between Measurement Studio and CVI. I think that CVI is Measurement Studio plus an IDE developed by NI. With MS you must use a third party IDE. I think (and I hope) that MS and CVI share the same underlying libraries.
Vix
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
AlejandroR

Including C++ support would probably be too much work considering that there already are successful C++ IDEs around which can be easily extended.

IMO there are two options:

EITHER make the change to eclipse OR optimize MeasurementStudio so we can just open CVI Projects without much conversion hassle.

EDIT: Also, have a look at this as it covers a similar topic.

sz.benjamin

I agree in 100%! In 2021 for any Windows 10 desktop developing we need the an object-oriented programming so we need C++. This is now the "state of the art" for high performance, HW oriented desktop applications.