NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crossrulz

Link Custom Data Types to LabVIEW Type Defs

This idea mostly goes along with this idea.  I use type def all the time in LabVIEW, especially with enums.  TestStand can interact with my VIs with enums, but they are handled as a number.  Furthermore, if the enum gets changed, the wrong value of the enum is often used.  I really like the idea of custom data type of an enum.  The ultimate would be if I only had to alter the enum once (in ctl file) and TestStand would automatically update its data type.  This should be the same for clusters.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
5 Comments
LVB
Active Participant
Active Participant

I had to search a bit to find this post.  LabVIEW clusters and TestStand Custom Data types are a major pain point with the LabVIEW adapter.  Type def'd clusters are a great way to pass a lot of information between LabVIEW and TestStand.  Clusters are frequently used in LabVIEW, but integration with TestStand is very tedious once something changes.  This is escpecially true for custom sequence edtiors.

There is a related thread on the discussion forums at http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/TestStand-should-realize-Labview-TypeDef-Strict-TypeDefs/td-p/9... where NI said they filed a product suggestion.  Unfortunately I haven't seen any news on this since 2009.

CLA, CTA
Lars_L
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: In Beta

crossrulz
Knight of NI

This idea is still in the Beta status?  I thought I saw upgrade notes saying this was done.  So this idea should probably marked as Completed with 2014.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
netsirk
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Completed

Regards,

Kristen M

Automated Test Product Marketing Engineer
National Instruments
Ajay_MV
Active Participant

@netsirk

If it's completed, could you please provide some reference links on how to use this feature?

Thanks,

Ajay.

--
Ajay MV