From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

allow selection of pdf files in the distribution kit

Right now, it is possible to add a readme file to the distribution (Build / Distribution / Edit...). Unfortunately, the file type of a readme file (and the license agreement file) is limited to *.rtf. 

It might be useful to distribute a more 'complex' readme file, e.g. including figures. Hence I would prefer to distribute readme.pdf instead of readme.rtf

2 Comments
wally_666

I don't understand unless you want the pdf file automatically displayed as part of the installation proceedure why you can't include a pdf file in the distribution kit.

While I've never specifically included a pdf file, I often include device driver installers & other files that CVI knows nothing about in my distribution kits.

You should be able to  use the pre or post install script options to launch a viewer and display your pdf files during the installation.

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

OK, may be I should have been more precise: I'd like to display some formulas in the readme file which I think is not possible using rtf. While objects can be embbeded, e.g. a MathType equation, it requires that the corresponding application (MathType...) is available on the target computer as well. So I wanted to suggest a more portable file format solution.

May be this goal can be achieved already now using install script options, but I have not found an example nor a description. Right now, it is possible to add a readme.rtf very easily. What I wanted to have is a comparably simple approach to add a html or pdf file that is displayed to the user. So if it is possible to display a pdf during installation already now let me rephrase my suggestion to make this process more simple and user friendly.