From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esh51

NIReport no longer supported

Dear NI,

Until lately I worked with CVI 2017. I've decided to move on and I have installed 2019. For years I use NIReport 

to create reports to the customers. To my astonishment, NIReport is no longer supported, meaning a work of years will be thrown away. I have tried other options provided by NI, such as creating a report in word/excel, but neither gave me  satisfactory results

I am developing applications in CVI for 15 years, and had NEVER a problem of backward compatibility. I know other companies  that do not care about their customers, but NI has been never the case.

I hope that NIReport will be back. 

thank you

10 Comments
bsllc

Given that NI Reports is gone in CVI 2019, what is the recommended alternative?  

Do you have any idea how long Microsoft will support the active X controls to generate a word report?  I am concerned that Microsoft will change the interface to word, and/or only offer word as a subscription model in the future, which will make my customers unhappy.

My reports need to include complex graphs. 

bbynum

Yes, please bring back the report generator as I have used it in all of my applications since about 2000. And that's a lot of code to change!!

Thanks,

--Bill

RavensFan
Knight of NI

Then click the kudo star to register your vote.  That carries more weight in evaluating ideas then just a simple reply!

jimc1965

For years I have used NIReport to create reports, I have many years of multiple programs which use it.  I am amazed that NIReport is no longer supported, because CVI is usually backward compatible.  I have much work and time in these programs and now I will have much more work and time to change these programs to not use NIReport.  Is it possible to still use NIReport?  Can NIReport be included in the next update?

macksel

An news for that?

Maybe we can use this here:

https://github.com/AndreRenaud/PDFGen

macksel

The NI support found a solution. They created a installer with legacyComponents. This installer add all missing components back to CVI 2020. They want to add this to a FAQ. They also say that we can use the Word Report functions, it's a replacement of NIReport function. C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\CVI2020\toolslib\activex\word\wordreport.c. 

Support:

There is still a way to install NI Reports by downloading the CVI 2020 suite media which will be an ISO file, mount it and inside there is a feed (LegacyComponents) that contains the removed packages.

jerdizzle

Is this legacyComponents installer part of the LabWindows CVI 2020?  If it is, I am not seeing it.  Can I get a link to it?

jerdizzle

Nevermind, I see it when I download the 2020 f2 base/full iso image (install offline option).

macksel

@jerdizzle

Does it work for you? I installed CVI 2020 f3 via offline installer (iso). But I cant include it in the Distribution Kit, its not there.

EDIT

Support had said at the time that I didn't have to publish the file here because an FAQ was being created. Unfortunately, I haven't found this yet and support no longer responds. That's why I'm now publishing the file from support.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mfzemC40-2q981HwQHBP9TLNE-rnJjqE/view