NI TestStand Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mr._Jim

Copy Full Variable Name Expression From Context Menu

Hi all,

There are times, for instance, when I am paused at a breakpoint and I want to copy the full name expression of some deeply nested variable that only appears at runtime.

I wish there was an option on the context menu that would allow me to copy the full path of some variable.

For instance, in the following illustration I want to be able to copy the string

"Parameters.ModelPluginConfiguration.Plugins[0].PluginSpecific.RuntimeVariables.PerSocket[0]"

I've added a context menu option called "Copy Path", but maybe that's the wrong nomenclature.

Am I ignorant of some functionality that already does this? (Besides typing it in the watch window?)

Thanks as usual,

Mr. Jim

CopyVariablePath.png

2 Comments
Shashidhar

I believe you can use these two options:

Option 1 -

The context menu contains 'Copy'. When you copy a variable and paste it in Variables pane itself, you will get a copy of the variable. However, after copying, pasting in a text editor (like in Notepad application or TestStand expression), you will get the lookup of the variable as you mentioned.

Option 2 -

Drag and drop the variable from Variables pane to a TestStand expression and the expression will use the lookup of the variable.

-Shashidhar

Mr._Jim
Active Participant

Shashidhar, thanks again! That seems to work well - I don't know why I didn't figure that out eventually. I still think it'd be a nice option on the menu, but I can also see why you'd want to keep the UI additions to a minimum.