LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
richferrara

Make rollback more graceful during an uninstall

I recently installed the LabWindows 2017 beta version on a lab PC and tried using it to run a project built with 2015 SP1.  Unfortunately it didn't work because of a bug I found in the beta: calling the NewBitmap or SetBitmapData function crashes the program if the number of bits per pixel is 1 or 4.

Uninstalling the beta is proving to be difficult.  I performed an uninstall on LabWindows 2017 and Run-Time Engine 2017 through the Windows control panel, but it made me uninstall LabWindows 2015 SP1, NI-DAQ, and LabVIEW as well (because they were all dependent on the RTE).  Windows appeared to run the uninstall successfully, but the RTE folder and DLLs were somehow not removed or changed.  So when I rebuilt and re-ran my project, it still linked with the 2017 RTE and still crashed.  I had to manually copy the 2015 RTE files from another PC.

Even after this, there are still some other elements of the 2017 version left on the PC, such as the activation manager.

I would like to NI change this so that when the user uninstalls a new RTE, it automatically restores whatever previous version was active before the update without the hassle of having to uninstall and reinstall LabWindows, LabVIEW, etc.