LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfgang

Improved Array Display

In CVI 2013 the array display has changed (for the worse, in my opinion).

There are two minor inconveniences and one acute shortage I would like to see improved (hopefully prior to CVI2020 Smiley Wink)

First, the right click context menu: If I want to see values of a numerical array, it offers a 'Graphical Array View' but no 'Array View', so one first has to chose 'View Variable Value' and then 'Array Display' - maybe one could save one step and already provide the 'Array Display' in the first case...?

Second, the new Array View table still is very slow, not extremely slow as prior to SP1 but still very slow...

Most importantly, at present it is impossible to debug large arrays, large meaning arrays with more than 10000 elements. The current implementation requires to select a slice of data - but this makes it impossible to check or compare say array indices 5, 10005, and 20005...

Of course I agree that there is no need to simultaneously see more than 10000 data values - but why not have a table with say 100 rows that can be turned over, e.g.  displaying either elements 1-100, 101-200, ... this way one could access and inspect all array values...

2 Comments
Johannes_T
Active Participant

Hello Wolfgang!

I understand your concern regarding the performance impact of the CVI 2013 array display. However, regarding the first item you mentioned, the Array Display option still wasn't available in the CVI 2102 context menu or sooner than that. One reasoning for this is that, similar to the Memory Window or String Display, adding more items to the context menu would overcrowd the menu itself. These features are somewhat more related to debugging utilities and are conveniently located in their corresponding debugging windows (Array Display, Watch Window, Variables Window, etc.).

Thank you for your feedback!

- Johannes

Wolfgang
Trusted Enthusiast

Hello Johannes,

Thanks for your interest!

I have two comments Smiley Wink

1. You could easily reduce the number of popup menu entries if this suggestion would be implemented, showing only those menu entries that actually are available. I would assume that on average this saves at least five entries...
  2. Also the current context menu could be reorganized somewhat to group related actions; e.g., have 'View Variable Value', 'Array Display' and 'Graphical Array Display' go together - if separated by menu separators I guess it would be much clearer for the user; right now the first and the last entry are separated by 'Add Watch Expression'...