LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple polar plots into a 3d plot

my test measures a light source, for each iteration (of the test) the detector moves up in elevation 5 deg (starts at 0 deg) and takes a data point every 2.5 degrees in azimuth (for a full 360 deg). My data array is a 3d array where on each page I have 3 columns azimuth, elevation (the elevation is constant for each iteration) and measured data. The question is: I cannot seem to plot it into a 3D graph...polar plot no problem...does any one have any insight?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 37
(29,438 Views)
Hi tomander,

Your application sounds interesting. However, it's not clear to me exactly what you are trying to get. Can you provide us with some 3D-array example data. Do you have some examples of how you want the 3D plot to look like - mayby from other applications? Why do you have 3 colums of azimuth in the data? Wouldn't one column (degrees) be enough?

The best thing you can do to explain the data and the results you want is to provide us with some sketches, images etc., thanks.
- Philip Courtois, Thinkbot Solutions

Thinkbot Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 37
(29,424 Views)

Hello,

Thanks for responding...it is not 3 columns of azimuth, it is 3 colums where it is azimuth, elevation and measured value. I have included a jpg of my panel, you can see the polar plot and my attempt at a 3d plot (which is not quite right). Addittionally I have included the vi that converts my raw data to the 3d graph...the input control's default values are actual data...again thanx for your help. I can only send one attachment...I 'll send another that has the vi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 37
(29,414 Views)
Sorry, I meant PNG...here is the vi
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 37
(29,413 Views)
on the vi...column 0=az 1=elevation 2=meas values
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 37
(29,413 Views)
I can't open your 7.1 file, but wouldn't a contour plot type be what you want. Maybe with the z value being elevation?? The elevation data would act like the contour lines on a map.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 37
(29,715 Views)

Hi tomander,

Thank for the data to play with!

The attached zip contains a collection of VI’s used to produce the plot shown in the attached jpgs.

“Botom view vs polar plot.JPG” shows the bottom view of the 4-d plot compared with your polar plot. I used a collection of curves to plot each of the elevation scan separately attempting to match your polar plot.

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:40 PM

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:41 PM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Download All
Message 7 of 37
(29,705 Views)

Continued...

The code I used is illustrated in “Plot Curves on Surface.JPG” (for all of you non- LV 7.1 users). In this code I first destroy all old plots. Then I iterate through each scan creating a new 3d curve with a unique color for each. I then add a new plot and define a custom color map to illustrate the forth dimension, magnitude of the signal at each supplied triplet. The resulting surface is then displayed. I finish things up by ensuring the XY axis maintains a 1:1 aspect ratio and scale the Z axis as dictated by the computed values. Two cursors complete the code. One is fixed and shows the XYZ planes for reference. The second cursor allows probing of the data.

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:43 PM

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 8 of 37
(29,695 Views)

Continued ....

“Converting colors.JPG” shows how to convert LV colors to CW colors.

“Set Color Map.JPG” shows how to define a custom color map. Note: do not get carried away with too many colors! If you over do it, all of the colors end up looking gray.

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:45 PM

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:45 PM

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:46 PM

Download All
Message 9 of 37
(29,692 Views)

“Create color map.JPG” illustrates one way to create the map for the forth dimension.

“Set Axis Range.JPG” how I manipulated the axis range and properties. Note: It appears all CW 3-d graph items start counting at “1” not “0”.

“Add Cursors.JPG” shows the cursor work.

I hope this helps,

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:48 PM

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:49 PM

Message Edited by Ben on 09-24-2005 03:49 PM

Download All
Message 10 of 37
(29,619 Views)