From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Easy Access Button to Enable/Disable Debugging

One of the quickest (and easiest to forget) methods to improve performance of your VI is to disable debugging.  It requires a trip down the VI properties to get there, however.  I propose adding a button on the BD alongside the other debugging buttons to Disable and Enable Debugging.  

9 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI
Seems Obvious!  like any great idea. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
altenbach
Knight of NI

This needs to be weighted against further cluttering the interface, but I would probably use it occasionally. 😉

However, it's not too important. During development, debugging is probably desired, and once the application is built, debugging is gone anyway. 😉

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
IMO, the toolbar is a great place for putting tools, but not really for toggling persistent settings of the VI.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Jim, good point. So does that mean the button should be a temporary override, or a persistent setting? I might vote for a temporary override (reset once VI leaves memory), but I would not want a persistent setting on the toolbar. Honestly, I rarely disable debugging because I never think about it, and any benchmarking I do is going to be relative, not absolute. But if it were on the toolbar, I may think to use it more?
GregSands
Active Participant

Great idea.  In fact, why is the debug setting saved with a VI anyway?  And why does it default to enabled?  It makes much more sense to have debugging always disabled (i.e. VIs always saved with non-debug code), but VIs are recompiled for debugging if a button is pressed in those VIs you're looking at - they're necessarily open anyway.  If the next version of LV was set like this, 90% of programmers would think "Wow - this version is SO much faster!!"

Marc Blumentritt

"[...]It makes much more sense to have debugging always disabled[...]"

What happens, if you debug your VI and you step into a Sub-VI, where debug is disabled?

CLD
muks
Proven Zealot

>>What happens, if you debug your VI and you step into a Sub-VI, where debug is disabled?

That is a nice point to think........

altenbach
Knight of NI

> What happens, if you debug your VI and you step into a Sub-VI, where debug is disabled?

Nothing. The subVI is most likely fully debugged and of no interest in this regard. 😉

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I concur but in the grand schele of thing, we need more.

Offer a column in the project explorer that allows doing it:

- per VI

- per Folder

- for All VIs

- add you own options here, like all dependent subVIs, etc

In particular, I see the need for "temporary groups" of debuggable VIs defined as a list (or in the column spirit of the idea above). Check it, uncheck it. Save it, modify it, etc, etc.