LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Easy Access Button to Enable/Disable Debugging

One of the quickest (and easiest to forget) methods to improve performance of your VI is to disable debugging.  It requires a trip down the VI properties to get there, however.  I propose adding a button on the BD alongside the other debugging buttons to Disable and Enable Debugging.  

9 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI
Seems Obvious!  like any great idea. 

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
altenbach
Knight of NI

This needs to be weighted against further cluttering the interface, but I would probably use it occasionally. 😉

However, it's not too important. During development, debugging is probably desired, and once the application is built, debugging is gone anyway. 😉

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast
IMO, the toolbar is a great place for putting tools, but not really for toggling persistent settings of the VI.
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Jim, good point. So does that mean the button should be a temporary override, or a persistent setting? I might vote for a temporary override (reset once VI leaves memory), but I would not want a persistent setting on the toolbar. Honestly, I rarely disable debugging because I never think about it, and any benchmarking I do is going to be relative, not absolute. But if it were on the toolbar, I may think to use it more?
GregSands
Active Participant

Great idea.  In fact, why is the debug setting saved with a VI anyway?  And why does it default to enabled?  It makes much more sense to have debugging always disabled (i.e. VIs always saved with non-debug code), but VIs are recompiled for debugging if a button is pressed in those VIs you're looking at - they're necessarily open anyway.  If the next version of LV was set like this, 90% of programmers would think "Wow - this version is SO much faster!!"

Marc Blumentritt

"[...]It makes much more sense to have debugging always disabled[...]"

What happens, if you debug your VI and you step into a Sub-VI, where debug is disabled?

CLD
muks
Proven Zealot

>>What happens, if you debug your VI and you step into a Sub-VI, where debug is disabled?

That is a nice point to think........

altenbach
Knight of NI

> What happens, if you debug your VI and you step into a Sub-VI, where debug is disabled?

Nothing. The subVI is most likely fully debugged and of no interest in this regard. 😉

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I concur but in the grand schele of thing, we need more.

Offer a column in the project explorer that allows doing it:

- per VI

- per Folder

- for All VIs

- add you own options here, like all dependent subVIs, etc

In particular, I see the need for "temporary groups" of debuggable VIs defined as a list (or in the column spirit of the idea above). Check it, uncheck it. Save it, modify it, etc, etc.