BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Posts/Triple Posts?

On other forums, performing a double post is a no-no.  A triple post is unheard of.  But here I've seen my first 7 posts in row.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Bit-coin-mining-with-FPGA-Single-board-reo/m-p/2475006#M757254

What is the longest you've seen?  Do I hear 9? or 10?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 65
(18,823 Views)

I've spotted 8 posts in a row today.

Seen here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Odd-Simulated-Device-Behavior/m-p/2477340

[EDIT: Fixed Link]

Regards!

Mondoni
Message 2 of 65
(18,810 Views)

Hey, leave our rubber ducks alone!

I'm as guilty of this as anyone, and although it's not the preferred method of posting,s ometimes the simple act of posting can help solve problems.

Just remember to mark your own post as a solution..... 🙂

Shane

Message 3 of 65
(18,805 Views)

I've definitely done 3 or 4 myself.  Like Intaris said, posting can lead to epiphanies.  And like I've said before: That's the problem with being on the cutting edge.  There's no one else to help you.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 4 of 65
(18,803 Views)

Some other forums do e.g. a MD5 hash of all recent posts, and if the hash of a new posts matches the hash of a recent existing posts, the post is rejected.

This will at least eliminate the duplicate posts due to forum malfunction.

Message 5 of 65
(18,770 Views)

You think Lithium can do an MD5 hash without creating some new problem?

Lynn

Message 6 of 65
(18,756 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

Some other forums do e.g. a MD5 hash of all recent posts, and if the hash of a new posts matches the hash of a recent existing posts, the post is rejected.

This will at least eliminate the duplicate posts due to forum malfunction.

Okay this I understand and it has happened to me a few times, but what I was more talking about is when someone posts a question, then replies with a semi-related question, and then an update to the first issue, then a third issue, then an update to the first issue, then a post about a forth issue.  One of the more difficult things to do in a thread is talk about multiple subjects, or update a particular subject when there are many updates to it that are all one sided conversations.

I feel like after posting you need to give the community time to digest the post before posting again.  This is another reason why I hate "Bump" posts just so your topic gets more exposure.  It's like nagging someone to call you back.  You left a message once, then twice, leaving 4 other messages telling them to call you back isn't going to make it happen any sooner.  But I do see these "Bump" posts actually working so I guess that's why people do it.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 65
(18,713 Views)

Your analogy to leaving a message isn't too far off. If you leave a voice mail and the person listens to it, then has a bunch more come in, it will move down the stack, requiring effort to listen to it again. Similarly, a post that isn't immediately responded to will slide down the screen and in a fairly short time be a couple of "pages" down, where it may never see the light of day, unless one of the NI engineers spots it.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 65
(18,677 Views)

If my memory serves me correctly, I have been guilty of multiple posts in threads where I have posted requests for information regarding something I have been struggling with, and have gone back to repost more data or observations before someone had been able to respond.

The epiphanies that Intaris and elset brought up are much like the phenomenon of dragging someone across the lab to ask a that person a question about something that's been bugging you for weeks, only to answer your own question while you try to explain the problem.

JZ

Jeffrey Zola
Message 9 of 65
(18,670 Views)