Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarstenT

Add Quick Drop to Right-click Menu

I'd like to re-hash an old idea with a slightly new context:

Here's the original idea:

Replace Object with Quick Drop

This idea is currently marked as completed, even though it was completed with another Keyboard shortcut, instead of as a Right-click menu option as described.

I think that Quick Drop should be an option that shows up along with "Specific Pallete" and "All Palletes" anytime that they appear in the Right-click menu.

In general, I would like the ability (in any context) to select a VI from the palettes using the keyboard. 

For simple dropping of a node, this is perfectly achieved in Quick Drop (awesome.)

For Inserting or Replacing, I can use Quick Drop too, but the logic is out of order in my mind. 

I would prefer to select the action that I want (Insert, Replace, etc) from the Right-click menu, then use Quick Drop to locate the node I want. 

In the current implementation, if I choose Insert from the Right-click menu, I am forced to navigate the palletes.  If I go to Quick drop, I have to invoke Quick Drop, type/select the node I want, and then remember what I was trying to do ("Oh, yeah, Insert")

and then remember what the Shortcut is for that ("um...Ctrl-I? Do I hold Shift too?").

As a side note, this could potentially get around the limitation in Quick Drop of inserting a node onto a branched wire (see discussion here).

3 Comments
James Kring

What you're proposing sounds like a Right-Click Framework 🙂

KarstenT

Though an RCF Plugin could accomplish something very similar, what I was hoping for is more comprehensive support for Quick Drop-esque node selection in all parts of LabVIEW.  For any built-in activity in LabVIEW, it would be cool if the Quick Drop style node browser was available as an alternative to nested palette browsing.

Darren
Proven Zealot

More generally, I would like to see Quick Drop as an option when doing *anything* that involves selecting something from the palettes.  This includes:

- Drop

- Insert

- Replace

- "Find" dialog object selection

Anything else?