LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in quick-drop insert

The recently introduced quick-drop features are simply great. Unfortunately, there is a small bug in the "insert" functionality:

Select the wire to the right of the branch point as shown here:

QDbefore.png

Now open the quick-drop dialog box, type "Increment" and hit Ctrl-i to insert the VI. You get the following result:

QDafter.png

The VI is inserted to the left of the branch point instead of the selected part of the wire (as of LV 2010 f2 Windows 32-bit).

Fixing this would make the feature much more useful!

Thanks,

Andreas Hoenselaar

Message 1 of 13
(7,989 Views)

Yup, looks weird. I filed a bug report under CAR#:253066. Thanks for the heads up!

Verne D. // Software R&D // National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(7,959 Views)

Hmm, I don't know off-hand if I'll be able to fix this, because of the following:

1.  The selection list property returns a Wire reference...I don't know if there's a way for me to figure out which segment of a wire is selected.

2.  The Insert method only takes a Wire reference...there's no way to tell it a particular segment of the wire on which you want the insert to take place.

I'll look into it, but I'm not hopeful it can be fixed without some changes to the internals of VI Scripting...

Thanks for the bug report.

Message 3 of 13
(7,948 Views)

The Joints[] property of a wire will actually allow you to figure out which segments of a wire are selected. There is, however, no way to determine which of the wire endpoints is connected to what terminal.

As wires are only designed to connect one source to a number of sinks, LabView does not provide sufficient information to perform the operation described in the scenario above.

Thank you for looking into this! We might have to wait for enhancements to VI scripting before this can be realized, though.

- Andreas

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(7,928 Views)

The Right-click Insert functionality seems to insert nodes into the proper branch of a selected wire.  That would be my choice for a work around in the short term, but then I have to go back to navigating the palettes.  It would be cool if "Quick Drop" was an option that showed up along with "Specific Pallete" and "All Palletes" in the menu to allow for quick text based searching for the node I want.  It's not quite as quick as Ctrl-Space, but it could be handy.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(7,795 Views)

Hey kars10,

I really like that idea.  I would suggest adding to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange so that the community can vote on it:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas

Lynn

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(7,773 Views)

I've posted the idea here.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(7,763 Views)

I finally started using quickdrop and this is one of the first things I noticed.  Anything we can do about it yet?

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(7,525 Views)

Hello Tim,

I just checked in LabVIEW 2012, and it looks like the quickdrop insert is still behaving this same way.  I also checked the status of the previously filed CAR, and it appears that R&D has corrected this functionality, and will be rolling it out in a future version of LabVIEW.  Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on exactly when it will be released, but the current target is to include the fix in LabVIEW 2013.  I hope this helps answer your question, and I apologize that there isn't much to do about the bug at this time.

Regards

Patrick
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(7,492 Views)

I was just about to file a bug report on this, it's really detrimental to one of LV's best features.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(7,444 Views)