LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
kekin

Quick Drop should show VIs & control/indicators/object present on PC..............like desktop search

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

It's good to have tool like Quick Drop...........but it will great if we can see our own VIs/Custom Controls/Custom Indicators/objects present in my PC in the list.

This can be achieved by remembering them while they are made or being used for the first time. So that every time I don't have to got to Select Vi, search the path & call a VI.

The only option to do this right now is by placing the VIs in user or inst directory of Labview.

But this not what we always do right? We manage the folders & VIs in different locations.

Just as good function as any desktop search.

3 Comments
Mr._Jim
Active Participant

I foresee a few problems with this:

1. What if the same VIs exist in multiple locations?  Many of us use source control.  In my case, several client workspaces may reference the same VI.  The instances of this VI may and often do exist physically in multiple places on my PC.  This feature would make inadvertant cross-linkage particularly easy.

2. What if the same VI exists in multiple LabVIEW projects?

3. What if the VIs referenced change locations?

4. This encourages lazy file hierarchy organization.  My opinion on this matter may be controversial, but I humbly maintain that it shouldn't be an arduous task to locate VIs if the file hierarchy of the project is set up intuitively.  This is often facilitated by the usage of source control with well-organized client workspaces.

Now, if this feature was to hypothetically reference only VIs within the scope of the current LabVIEW project file, application instance, or source control client workspace (as configured in the respective LabVIEW dialog), then I might be inclined to try it out and see if it helps improve my development efficiency.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Add the libraries of VIs that you're using to the LV Project tree. Quick Drop will include everything listed in your project.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.