BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite sci-fi books?

A friend just recommended me the Ready Player One a few days ago 🙂

Hmm, an old book came to my mind which I read when I was a kid. It is a really unique story, even if it has a strong effect from the communist Soviet era... 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_as_Gods

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 70
(11,188 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

A friend just recommended me the Ready Player One a few days ago 🙂

Yepp, Ready Player One is fun... and even more if you growed up with these old games 😄 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 70
(11,172 Views)

Dan Wells, Bluescreen

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 13 of 70
(11,120 Views)

Well, it all depends on YOUR point of view.

A. C. Clark, R. Asimov, R.A.H, Orsen Scott Card, et. al.  Have placed a great deal of literature out there that is noteworthy.  Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series lack a bit towards the end (Especially the Author's skin and breathing) But is well worth the read.  The Eddings have produced some very fun books

Douglas Adams- (Need I say more?) 

For the "Sword and Stone" crowd. - John Whyte is interesting.

Spoiler
And the "Guilty Pleasure" Janet Evanovich - Her books are just plain delightful to read.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 14 of 70
(11,091 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series lack a bit towards the end (Especially the Author's skin and breathing) But is well worth the read.

I really liked the Brandon Sanderson WoT books, although making it to the end also means you made it through quite a few terrible books. I think the chart showing the average rating for each book really sums it up.

chart1.png

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 15 of 70
(11,088 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Douglas Adams- (Need I say more?) 

Isn't that required reading for engineers/programmer anymore?

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

Message 16 of 70
(11,065 Views)

Ditto on Doug Adams, gone way too young!

Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth series, beginning with Pandora's Star. His
"Great North Road", a standalone book (at 1100 pages it literally can stand alone!) has a lot of use of technology that is in its infancy now (3D printing, "smart dust"), as well as his usual deep character development.

I grew up on the classics of SF, the first book I checked out of a library, at age 8, was Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit will travel" and moved on from there to all of the greats (and some not so greats). Had a subscription to the Analog SF magazine in middle school, I regret to this day letting my mom decide that their issues introducing Dune wouldn't be shipped in a move, what would they be worth today? If you know, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!!!! 😉

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 70
(11,060 Views)

If y'all need some fun rather than take your Sci-Fi straight-up.

Spider Robinson  Trust me- you will never look a a "Limerick" the same way

Robert Asprin's Myth- "I'd never refuse a fifth!"- Aahz (No relation)  

Spoiler
Without the book in front of me I can't check-  But wasn't "Skeve" a "CLAD?"
Spoiler
That's Pervect!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 18 of 70
(11,044 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 70
(10,996 Views)

While I was in the Navy and at sea but not reading Tolkien (again) I read all of the Gor books that had been published up until 1979.

I realize they are hardly literary classics.

Spoiler

After being at sea for months at a time, the only thing I was interested in was hookers and beer.

Spoiler
When the topic of me being in the navy comes up my wife says "We all know about sailors."

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 20 of 70
(10,954 Views)