BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite sci-fi books?

@Ben wrote:

While I was in the Navy and at sea but not reading Tolkien (again) I read all of the Gor books that had been published up until 1979.

I realize they are hardly literary classics.

Spoiler

After being at sea for months at a time, the only thing I was interested in was hookers and beer.

Spoiler
When the topic of me being in the navy comes up my wife says "We all know about sailors."

Ben

Thank you for the trip down "Amnesia Lane" The "LMB?" Not quite as thrilled!

I read the accounts of "Counter Earth" myself.  Isn't the aslo known a L-3?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 21 of 70
(10,515 Views)

Not really a sci find fan myself, but I loved William Gibson's books when I was younger.

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 70
(10,458 Views)

Finished "Die drei Sonnen"  (The Three-Body Problem and wiki)  written by Cixin Liu and asked my wife to get the second book (The dark forest), now I can start reading the English edition she handed over to me with a smile or have to wait until next year for the german translation :D.

Really like it and recommend it. First Chinese author getting the Hugo award.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 23 of 70
(10,324 Views)

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Finished "Die drei Sonnen"  (The Three-Body Problem and wiki)  written by Cixin Liu and asked my wife to get the second book (The dark forest), now I can start reading the English edition she handed over to me with a smile or have to wait until next year for the german translation :D.

Once I started to read a hard scifi book in English, well, I understood about 50% of the text 🙂 Even I read a lot physics articles in English, it did not help 🙂

I check this Chinese book, it got a Hungarian translation, thanks for the tip! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 70
(10,321 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

Once I started to read a hard scifi book in English, well, I understood about 50% of the text 🙂 Even I read a lot physics articles in English, it did not help 🙂

I check this Chinese book, it got a Hungarian translation, thanks for the tip! 🙂

OF Topic, but I was once tasked with reading War and Peace and Anna Karenina for a high school project (Surprisingly, Brit lit!) I even tried to go back to an original Russian copy.  All I can say is that was the best sleep I ever got.  (In fact I got an A+ for proving my thesis that the English translation improved the work noticeably but, I still prefer works about extraordinary people in extraordinary times)- Count Leo never wrote about that as a theme.   I didn't like Jack London either... You could always tell the story was finished when everyone died.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 70
(10,299 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@Blokk wrote:

@Henrik_Volkers wrote:

OF Topic, but I was once tasked with reading War and Peace and Anna Karenina for a high school project (Surprisingly, Brit lit!) I even tried to go back to an original Russian copy.  All I can say is that was the best sleep I ever got.  (In fact I got an A+ for proving my thesis that the English translation improved the work noticeably but, I still prefer works about extraordinary people in extraordinary times)- Count Leo never wrote about that as a theme.   I didn't like Jack London either... You could always tell the story was finished when everyone died.

When I was a kid, I was in love with gold rush and Alaskan stories, so I also read some Jack London 🙂 But my favourite book about Alaska and gold miners is the "Klondike: The Last Great Gold Rush, 1896-1899" from Pierre Berton. Historical documentary and real stories just were even better than the fictious ones from J London 🙂 Later when I started to study English, this was one of the first books which I bought in English in an antquar. I was lucky to find a good copy of the first UK edition. That time they still knew how to bind a book properly 🙂 

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 70
(10,324 Views)

so finally i'd like to chime in... here are my propositions:

- hyperion (all four) (dan simmons)

- commonwealth saga (pandora's star, judas unchained) (peter hamilton)

- the void trilogy is ok, but not as good as the two above

- culture novels (ian banks)

- diamond age (i think my alltime favorite), anathem, (all, except baroque cycle) (neal stephenson)

- spin (robert charles wilson)

- illuminatus! trilogy (robert anton wilson, robert shea)

- schroedinger's cat trilogy (robert anton wilson)

- accellerando, laundry universe, merchant princess, ... (all) (charles stross) 😉

- strugatzki brothers

- lem

- frederik pohl (gateway, ...)

- larry niven (ringworld, ...)

- heinlein (stranger in a strange land, moon is a harsh mistress, ...)

- asimov

- arthur c. clarke

- vernor vinge (a deepness in the sky) (the first book with the dog-creatures ok but for me a magnitute lower than deepness in the sky)

- lots of russian, german (gdr), eastern block older sci-fi (e.g. Der fliederfarbene Kristall)

i guess for more i have to have a look at my library at home, these came to mind atm 😉

and the list is in no particular order

regarding Liu Cixin (three-body problem, dark forest): i found the premise of the books  interesting, his kind of story telling was also different. am awaiting the paperback of book three (which might be out already)

also have a look at this nice community

https://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/

ADDENDUM:

action packed, fast, very good novels

- ancillary {justice,sword, mercy) (ann leckie)

- nexus, crux, apex (ramez naam)

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
Message 27 of 70
(10,301 Views)

almost forgot 😉 THE best comic ever (also it has the best cat ever)

Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis)

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 70
(10,294 Views)

@jwscs wrote:

...regarding Liu Cixin (three-body problem, dark forest...

Off-topic and old joke but it was a line by my better-half that answered a question about what it was like to attend NI Week with me years ago and she replied....

It was like finding myself in the middle of the Dork Forest.

Tah-dah-dum!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 70
(10,242 Views)

glad i didn't misspell that one then 😉

Message 30 of 70
(10,225 Views)