BreakPoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favourite sci-fi books?

I wonder if there are sci-fi literature lovers here? If so, favourite books? Can be old or either contemporary.

For me, the all time best of is the Hyperion Cantos. It is just the most amazing story I ever read (well, I think I read the books like 4 times? 🙂 ). 

“The universe is indifferent to our fates. This was the crushing burden that the character took with him as he struggled through the surf toward survival or extinction. The universe just does not give a **bleep**.” 

Hmm, when I was a kid, beside the big classics, like C. Clark, Asimov, Stanislaw Lem, and so on, I really enjoyed the book Ender's Game (the movie is real bad). Ah, and a very special one from Alfred Bester, very unique story from 1957 (!): The Stars My Destination, or Tiger!Tiger! Very powerful book, starts with the famous poem from Blake! 🙂 

"Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?" 

🙂

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 70
(12,726 Views)

Evil forum engine, censored out the great quote! 😂

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 70
(12,724 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

Evil forum engine, censored out the great quote! 😂

Message 3 of 70
(12,695 Views)

I don't read very much sci-fi but The Forever War by Joe Haldeman is one of my favorite books.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 4 of 70
(12,665 Views)

I am a fan of the ABC of Sci-Fi (Asimov-Bradbury-Clarke) but I must admit that I was very impressed reading The Martian from Andy Weir, especially after I discovered that the Sci part has very solid foundations Smiley Happy

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

I was always more of a Fantasy reader but Frank Herbert's Dune was my favorite.

At least the first trilogy ... I think he may have done more...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 70
(12,623 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

I am a fan of the ABC of Sci-Fi (Asimov-Bradbury-Clarke) but I must admit that I was very impressed reading The Martian from Andy Weir, especially after I discovered that the Sci part has very solid foundations Smiley Happy

That is the reason I really like the books from Corey: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

Actually I also like the TV show version, but since the story somewhat alters between the TV show and the book versions, my brain got totally confused about the story line :)) Maybe I should have avoid parallel reading/watching...ok, the story of the books is much more advanced, I think the first 2 seasons of the show just covers the 1st book.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 70
(12,613 Views)

@Ben wrote:

I was always more of a Fantasy reader but Frank Herbert's Dune was my favorite.

At least the first trilogy ... I think he may have done more...

Ben

Yes. My first book was the Lord of The Rings from Tolkien when I was a kid (the first book which I have read alone at least 🙂 ). I remember I spent hours staring at the map of Middle Earth, imagining extra stories connected to some strange names of locations in the map 🙂

By the way, a few years ago when I had a training in Oxford, UK, I just missed to visit the grave of J. R. R. Tolkien to pay my respect...shame on me! Hmm, maybe another time I visit...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 70
(12,610 Views)

other personal fav not noted until now :

Daniel Suarez Deamon ff

Ann Leckie Imperial Radch trilogy

Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

more to follow 😄

(just finished the expanse ... fan since 2012 .. every year a new one and '18?? 

EDIT : Dmitri Alexejewitsch Gluchowski: Metro 2033 ff

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 9 of 70
(12,593 Views)

Here are some sci-fi books I've enjoyed over the past few years that haven't been mentioned:

• Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang.  Includes the short story that was the basis for the movie Arrival.  Chiang's stories are imaginative and unusual in that he mostly stays away from typical sci-fi topics like outer space and time travel.  Even his story about aliens takes a different approach than most others.
  • John Dies at the End by David Wong.  Adapted into a movie by the director of Phantasm.  Wacky, creative, sarcastic, weird, and FUN.
  • Justin Cronin's "virals" trilogy (The Passage, The Twelve, and The City Of Mirrors).  A vampire epic that spans multiple storylines stretching out over more than a century.  If you have the patience to get through 2000+ pages, it's well worth the read.
  • Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series.  Koontz has had some hits and misses, but Odd is a memorable character.
  • City by Clifford Simak.  The little "explanations" of each story are annoying but the novel is a classic.
  • Ready Player One and Armada by Ernest Cline.  Perfect stories for anyone who has fond memories of playing their Atari 2600 and spending hours trying to get the high score to earn an Activision patch.
  • The Fold by Peter Clines.  An enjoyable story about teleportation with fun characters and clever plot twists.
  • The Deep by Nick Cutter.  It takes a lot for a book to scare me, but this one was terrifying.
  • Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.  The earth and the moon get destroyed, what's left of mankind gets exiled into space and whittled down to a precious few people ... and then we jump ahead 5,000 years and get an amazing picture of our new society in space.  On the down side, Stephenson can go overboard sometimes with the scientific details.
  • World War Z by Max Brooks.  Forget the movie, it was nothing special.

And a few to stay away from:

• The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.  I've rarely seen an author take such an intriguing premise and bore me to tears with it.  Maybe you'll enjoy it if you're a fan of the I Ching.
  • The Maze Runner series by James Dashner.  See the movies instead.  Better characters, better dialogue, better plot.
  • Under the Dome by Stephen King.  Hands down the dreariest, most depressing book I've ever read.
  • Agenda 21 by Glenn Beck.  The heroine spends a good deal of the book walking on a treadmill, going nowhere.  Just like the story.
Message 10 of 70
(12,572 Views)