NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

BreakPoint

Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Ben

Re: Eureka!

I should probably be ashamed to admit it but here goes my eureka moment for today.

Nathand posted in reply #9 of this thread this image

I think it was Mark Twain that wrote "If yo only have a hammer everything looks like a nail." So I guess I am a "one hammer" guy.

What was my eureka?

The single element bundle (not Bundle by Name, aka my hammer) solves the problem of having a 2d array were the were different numbers of collumns in each row. I must have tracked the sub-array lenght a thousand times over the years never thinking that I could use a simple "Bundle".

Ben

Ben Rayner
Who is NOT John Galt... yet... just building Rayner's Ridge
Scheduled to close on the new ridge next week!
Proven Zealot
Jeff·Þ·Bohrer
0 Kudos

Ben wrote:

I should probably be ashamed to admit it but here goes my eureka moment for today.

Nathand posted in reply #9 of this thread this image

The single element bundle (not Bundle by Name, aka my hammer) solves the problem of having a 2d array were the were different numbers of collumns in each row. I must have tracked the sub-array lenght a thousand times over the years never thinking that I could use a simple "Bundle".

Ben

That is the exact same way I USED to do it:smileysurprised::smileyembarrassed:

Thanks

8-Ball Consulting advertising banner

Certified LabVIEW Consultant. The partner you can bank on when you're behind the 8-ball.
Knight of NI
altenbach

[ Edited ]

Jeff Bohrer wrote:That is the exact same way I USED to do it:smileysurprised::smileyembarrassed:

I guess nobody ever looks at my posts. :smileyvery-happy:           (Or also all the way back to 2005... )

LabVIEW Champion . Do more with less code and in less time .

Trusted Enthusiast
Darren

Ben wrote:

Oh man, this is one of those "I thought everybody knew this" ideas that I discarded as a potential Nugget post.  Lesson learned... :smileyhappy:

I'll post this as an occasional nugget soon.

Darren Nattinger, CLA
LabVIEW Artisan and Nugget Penman
Knight of NI
altenbach

[ Edited ]

Ben wrote:

The single element bundle (not Bundle by Name, aka my hammer) solves the problem of having a 2d array were the were different numbers of collumns in each row.

Bundle by name seems nearly equivalent (except for the need to wire the type) with the advantage of better implicit documentation. In newer LabVIEW versions you can even iconify the cluster template.

LabVIEW Champion . Do more with less code and in less time .

Proven Zealot
Jeff·Þ·Bohrer

[ Edited ]

altenbach wrote:

Jeff Bohrer wrote:That is the exact same way I USED to do it:smileysurprised::smileyembarrassed:

I guess nobody ever looks at my posts. :smileyvery-happy:           (Or also all the way back to 2005... )

Damn! that's about 10,000 more posts I need to read!  :smileylol:

Good thing Nathand read that!:smileywink:

8-Ball Consulting advertising banner

Certified LabVIEW Consultant. The partner you can bank on when you're behind the 8-ball.
Active Participant
jcarmody

Darren wrote:

Oh man, this is one of those "I thought everybody knew this" ideas that I discarded as a potential Nugget post.  Lesson learned... :smileyhappy:

Jeff Bohrer wrote:

Damn! that's about 10,000 more posts I need to read!  :smileylol:

Timely and timeless:

http://xkcd.com/1053/

Jim

You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
Trusted Enthusiast
Wayne.C

Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....Consider me one of the 10,000.

Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Ben
0 Kudos

So I was not alone in overlooking this option.

I'll try to remeber to show my igonorance on a more regular basis.

Christian,

With the schedule I have lately, just scanning the titles on the LV board is a challenge to keep up with.

Darren,

For the sake of completeness nuggetize it. But don't be suprised if it does not get a bunch of accolades since it was just Eurekanized.

Ben

Ben Rayner
Who is NOT John Galt... yet... just building Rayner's Ridge
Scheduled to close on the new ridge next week!
Trusted Enthusiast
LV_Pro

LOL, my dyslexia just kicked in. Was skimming the post and read Eurekanized as Euthanized

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer
Currently using LV 6.1-LabVIEW 2012, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion