From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Vision Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Maxim

Vision: handling single image files >2GB !

I'm expecting this a long time... but at each new Labview release I'm disappointed...

Despite 64bit Labview and Vision libraries are available since a long time now, it's still not possible to allocate more then 2GB for a single image

Would be nice to remove that limitation or at least to extend it !

6 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

I'm voting for this because I hit image size limits with Vision about 10 years ago and ended up requiring a 3rd party toolkit. You'd think things would have improved in 10 years, right?! Smiley Tongue

RavensFan
Knight of NI

This should have been posted in the Vision Idea Exchange

I'll ask to have it moved.

GregSands
Active Participant

Yes it should move, but leave it a few days here to get some kudos - visibility in the Vision Idea Exchange is pretty low.

Kudos from me anyway - like fabric says, it should have happened years ago.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Keep in mind that NI's motto is: you really should be using LV 32 bits anyway ("if you need more memory, you must be doing something wrong" seems to be the innuendo).

However, with the recent "In Beta" status change for the VI Analyzer and Mathscript toolkit, maybe NI has opened up their mind to big data (or merely large files)?

RavensFan
Knight of NI

@GregSands wrote:

Yes it should move, but leave it a few days here to get some kudos - visibility in the Vision Idea Exchange is pretty low.

Kudos from me anyway - like fabric says, it should have happened years ago.

That's fine.

But ultimately it will do better in Vision.  Not as many people might visit it, but those who do have a reason.  Leave it in LabVIEW Ideas and it will quickly get lost.

And though there is no official value or weight put on a number of kudoes to determine which ideas get developed, I'm sure a few kudoes in the Vision board would probably mean more than 10 kudoes in the LabVIEW board.  Heck, I've seen ideas in some boards such as CVI go into development after receiving only one or even no kudoes.

PaulG.
Active Participant

We should be well into 64 bit programming by now. And the 2GB image limitation is a real bottleneck.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.