NI Package Management Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaximeR

Add ability to build only selected pacakges in a solution of NI Package Builder

MaximeR, this is something that we are aware of as a limitation. There are some work flows wrt TestStand that conflict with this capability that would have to be resolved, so this is why we did not support this yet. An example workflow is that a sequence file in one package could reference code modules in another package and staging TestStand files in NIPB must be done for both packages at the same time and cannot be separate.

Inside a solution, you have to build all the packages inside the solution.

If you split your project in different packages, it's easier to manage it inside only one solution for managing dependecies between packages. But building a fix of a small package will force to build all packages. So if you don't want to change version of other pacakges, you need to manually manage all the version by hand and make sure you are not replacing the previous pacakge that you don't want to rebuild.

Having abaility to rebuild only the selected pacakges, willl help to create patches for only a part of a bigger project well divided in smaller components.

MaximeR

Maxime R.  

CLA - Certified LabVIEW Architect / Architecte LabVIEW Certifié
  CTA - Certified TestStand Architect / Architecte TestStand Certifié

4 Comments
Scott_Richardson
Active Participant
Status changed to: New

MaximeR, this is something that we are aware of as a limitation. There are some work flows wrt TestStand that conflict with this capability that would have to be resolved, so this is why we did not support this yet. An example workflow is that a sequence file in one package could reference code modules in another package and staging TestStand files in NIPB must be done for both packages at the same time and cannot be separate.

Scott Richardson
MaximeR
Active Participant

Ok, I better understand.

My first approach when building my solution was to create multiple solution. But if move all to one solution is because I was not able to select the pacakges from the other solution as dependecies if it was not installed on the system. It's difficult to manage source and installed package on the same computer.

So I choosed to move all the packet in the same solution.

Maybe a intermediate solution can be to select package from another solution or add manually package on disk.

Best regards

Maxime R.  

Scott_Richardson
Active Participant

MaximeR, we have discussed possibly allowing users to select packages on disk for dependencies and for inclusion in a feed or installer, which I think would cover your use case. What would be the benefit to you of referencing a package in a solution, is it that you want to use the version that is specified in that solution?

Scott Richardson
MaximeR
Active Participant

Yes, it is for managing dependencies. We can do it after with the feed manager, but, it's another tool.

Maxime R.