From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

display function label in block diagram

Hi,
I am new to labview and I need help.
I want to display function name as label when I pick and drop function in block diagram. I know I can do it by right clicking , visible/label.

Is there any options to do this automatically everytime I drop?

Sheetal
Thanks.
CVI 2010
LabVIEW 2011 SP1
Vision Builder AI 2011 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,095 Views)
Yes, you can go to Tools -> Options and select the Block Diagram tab. On this page, place a check next to Show subVI names when dropped. That should do it for you.

Hope that this helps,
Bob
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,090 Views)
Thanks Bob for reply.
Actually I have that checked and it still does not show me function names.

For example: I pick Add function and placed into block diagram. I see Add icon but I don't see "Add" label on top of that icon.

Thanks.
Sheetal
Thanks.
CVI 2010
LabVIEW 2011 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,088 Views)
You are right that it only works on subVIs and not on the other functions (often called primitives). I don't think that there is a way to turn it on for the primitives. Perhaps there is an ini token that can be added for this? Nothing that I know of, though.

Which leads to the question, why would you like it? I personally wouldn't care for it. Instead I use the context help when I need to find out about a function that I don't recognize by its graphic. Just turn it on (CTRL-h) and point at what ever I don't recognize. It shows the name and a bit of documentation about it.

Sorry I don't have a better answer,
Bob
Message 4 of 8
(5,081 Views)
Thanks.
As I wrote I am new to labview and just want to understand complete block diagram at once and I don't recognize all icons. Help works fine as fas as I move my mouse there but I want to understand flow by looking at block diagram and not looking at help!

Sheetal
Thanks.
CVI 2010
LabVIEW 2011 SP1
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,073 Views)

>I don't think that there is a way to turn it on for the primitives.

Any plans to add this capability to a future version of labview?

I turn on the label to all objects in the block diagram, including primatives.  It's the only way I can read the block diagram.  I hate glancing back and forth to the "context help" to understand how a VI work, and if I print the block diagram, then I can still understand it.  This also greatly reduces the additional comments that I have to add to the block diagram as the labels act as comments.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,716 Views)

Well, after 2 people think this would be useful 5.5 years apart, It could be submitted as a usability enhancement on the Idea exchange.  I personally don't think it will gain much traction but- NI does like to make LabVIEW approachable. 

Go for it and post the idea

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,705 Views)

Oh, I was just asking. 

NI has enough big things to fix with LV2010 and other assorted tools, (and software installation time). 

They don't need to be spending time on little things like this that are easily worked around.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,699 Views)