From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Labview to control spark ignition

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project that requires me to ignite fuel and oxidiser using a precisely timed spark ignition. In order to time the ignition signals do I need to program the Ignition control module using Labview (if possible)? or

I won't require the ignition control module and just use a TTL ciruit?

I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(1,234 Views)

What hardware are you using?

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 2 of 14
(1,225 Views)

Unless you're running LabVIEW "Real-Time", i.e. using the specific "Real-Time" version of LabVIEW, plus running it on dedicated hardware with a real-time OS, it's quite unlikely that you can do this.

If you're just running it on Windows or Mac or whatever, those operating systems have nowhere near the timing reliability that you would need.

But tell us more about this "Ignition control module", as that might be programmable with LabVIEW.

Message 3 of 14
(1,212 Views)

Where does the signal to control the ignition timing come from? What is the timescale? (nanoseconds, microseconds, milliseconds?). Again, what's the hardware? Do you need to acquire data before|during|after the ignition? What else is there?

Message 4 of 14
(1,210 Views)

I am using an automotive ignition arrangement consisting of a spark plug, ignition coil, battery and ignition control box. The spark timing must occur at time intervals of milliseconds. The ignition control box or ignition control module I am referring to is what is used in cars to time the spark ignition by controlling current to the spark plug. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(1,190 Views)

@Magicdust wrote:

I am using an automotive ignition arrangement consisting of a spark plug, ignition coil, battery and ignition control box.

If you have all the parts, why do you need LabVIEW again?

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 6 of 14
(1,188 Views)

The system I am working on requires timed opening and closing of valves to feed fuel and oxidiser in a chamber and ignite it. To control system timing I need Labview.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(1,181 Views)

@Magicdust wrote:

requires timed opening and closing of valves ...

So there are the *real* requirements.

As other have pointed out, you will need a real-time OS or an FPGA or a PLC... I guess LV could be involved if you really want it to be. 😎

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Message 8 of 14
(1,175 Views)

I see. Although I dont' have much idea about using real time OS but I will find about it. Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(1,169 Views)

I have a different, more hopeful thought.  I've been involved in several threads related to ignition timing systems over the years though it isn't something I've ever worked on personally.

In many, probably *most* cases, the ultimate driver of timing was an encoder attached to the crankshaft.  This allowed timing signals to correlate to rotational *position* despite variable rotation speed.  And generally the data acq gruntwork was done with a multifunction DAQ board, without needing to resort to on-the-fly decision making in RT software or on an FPGA.

Do you (or can you) have an encoder on your crankshaft?   If so, an X-series MIO board may be able to do what you need.  Or a small cDAQ chassis with 1 analog and 1 digital module.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 10 of 14
(1,135 Views)