cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THOUGHTS ON CORRECT PRONUNCIATION: "VI"

Solved!
Go to solution

Always heard skippy.

EDIT:  Also this is going a bit off the rails should this be moved to Breakpoint?

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 52
(1,197 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

People, how do you pronounce SCPI? I say often: "tsipii" 😄

I say it properly: "skippy".

And for gif, I pronounce it "Jif".

I must be getting really hungry.  I just named two peanut butters (Skippy, Jif).

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 42 of 52
(1,191 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Always heard skippy.

EDIT:  Also this is going a bit off the rails should this be moved to Breakpoint?

I would say no for now. It is still on the topic of how do we pronounce X.

Moving it to the Breakpoint will reduce readership.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 52
(1,186 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Somehow, I assumed it was already in the breakpoint, but yes, the entire thread should be moved. 😄

0 Kudos
Message 44 of 52
(1,184 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Always heard skippy.

Hmm. No accepted solution jet though...

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 52
(1,182 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@Hooovahh wrote:

Always heard skippy.

Hmm. No accepted solution jet though...

I'd say that's a second for the motion to move.  No solutions on BP.  But, hey. I would vote nay

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 46 of 52
(1,174 Views)

When kids started actually pronouncing "lol" I stopped playing counterstrike online.  i realised I was too old.

My kids aren't allowed to curse but they regularly simply pronounce "stfu" (stafoo) to each other..... I've tried cracking down, but I somehow admire their spirit. 

And of course amongst all such discussions, here is your obligatory XKCD reference....

xkcd, sometimes styled XKCD,[‡ 2] is a webcomic created by American author Randall Munroe. The comic's tagline describes it as "A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language".[‡ 3][2] Munroe states on the comic's website that the name of the comic is not an initialism but "just a word with no phonetic pronunciation".

Stolen unabashedly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xkcd

That guy had the right idea, why even open that whole can of worms..... Every technical invention should have a non-pronouncable set of initials.

Message 47 of 52
(1,098 Views)

I had never heard STFU before.  (Perhaps my former life as a Sailor insulated me from that particular XTLA)  SNAFU, and STBY (Snafoo, and stubby) I've heard. as well as BLUNT (Better LUck Next Time)  A google search will answer all

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 48 of 52
(1,072 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

That guy had the right idea, why even open that whole can of worms..... Every technical invention should have a non-pronouncable set of initials.

As in RADAR and Laser ?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 49 of 52
(1,067 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@Yamaeda wrote:

According to english pronounciation rules, 'fish' could be spelled 'ghoti'

tough - gh sounds like 'f'

women - o sounds like 'i'

potion - ti sounds like 'sh'

ghoti.

/Y 🙂

I always pronounced the "o" in women as an O.  And I always pronounce ghoti as "goatee", mostly due to one of my favorite bands back in the day (Ghoti Hook).  So now I know that I have been mispronouncing words my entire life.  Next thing I know, people will tell me I have been mispronouncing creek as well (pronounced "crick", yes I have hillbillies for relatives).

"Fish Hook" kind of makes more sense, no? 😉

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 50 of 52
(1,044 Views)