LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THOUGHTS ON CORRECT PRONUNCIATION: "VI"

Solved!
Go to solution

Is it the word "vi" pronounced like "vee" or "v-i" (each letter separately). All opinions welcomed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 52
(4,895 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author achr123

I have never heard anyone sai "vee". Smiley Very Happy

In think vi is short for virtual instrument therefore each letter seperately is the correct term.

ʍolɟɐʇɐp ʞuıɥʇ
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 52
(4,889 Views)

I rarely hear anybody not pronounce the "V" as "Vee", then "I" as in "I".

I do agree that it should sound like the to capitals V and I, but to me that sounds like "Vee eye" (as a bee, but with a v).

Phoneticly, [vi:][aI].

Type "V.I." in here: http://onlinetonegenerator.com/voice-generator.html (Mark and Zira sound best), and it sounds pretty much like how most people I've met would say it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 52
(4,853 Views)

My preferred pronunciation is "six"

Someone genuinely used that once in a phone call... took our guy a while to figure out what they meant.

Ian
LabVIEW since 2012
Message 4 of 52
(4,839 Views)

Vee is an Agilent/Keysight product that imitates LabVIEW.  So best not to call VI "vee".  I have always heard it pronounced as the separate letters.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 5 of 52
(4,835 Views)

Definitely not heard it said "vee" either. Previously when working for NI, I heard it said "vie" (rhymes with tie) a fair amount by customers who hadn't had much NI contact/training before, which mildly irritated my sense of correctness.

Ian
LabVIEW since 2012
Message 6 of 52
(4,830 Views)

I'm not English, but isn't a separate V pronounced exactly as the Vee in HPVee?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 52
(4,828 Views)

@IanSh wrote:

My preferred pronunciation is "six"

The speech generator actually says six when you input "Vi something". "Vi" alone doesn't output anything. Must be correct then?

But seriously, "Unititled.vi" sounds exactly like I'd expect.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 52
(4,817 Views)

In LabVIEW terms, VI are the initials of "Virtual Instrument", and are meant to be said as separate letters, the same way that the abbreviation for Post Office (P.O.) is not pronounced "po", but "Pee Oh", and the abbreviation for United States (of America) is pronounced by naming the two (or three) letters, not by saying "us" (or even stranger, "usa").

Bob "William, Sapphire" Schor

P.S. -- to truly appreciate the outrageous pun, you need to be old enough to have enjoyed radio shows in the early 50's.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 52
(4,784 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

In LabVIEW terms, VI are the initials of "Virtual Instrument", and are meant to be said as separate letters, the same way that the abbreviation for Post Office (P.O.) is not pronounced "po", but "Pee Oh", and the abbreviation for United States (of America) is pronounced by naming the two (or three) letters, not by saying "us" (or even stranger, "usa").

I think we all agree on that.

But if:

P.O. is "Pee Oh",

U.S.A. is "You Es Aj" (the other "S" will be bleebed out)

Then isn't V.I. "Vee Eye"?

Can anyone confirm typing V.I in here gives the accepted pronunciation?

Not saying V.I is pronounced "Vee", but "Vee Eye".

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 52
(4,771 Views)