From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THOUGHTS ON CORRECT PRONUNCIATION: "VI"

Solved!
Go to solution

Intrepid has a piece of hardware named a neoVI.  Most people I've heard pronounce it neo-Vye (as you described like 'bye').

Also I remember calling it "C Pound" for several weeks until someone corrected me.  "C Hash" would probably be way to get it wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 52
(818 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Intrepid has a piece of hardware named a neoVI.  Most people I've heard pronounce it neo-Vye (as you described like 'bye').

Also I remember calling it "C Pound" for several weeks until someone corrected me.  "C Hash" would probably be way to get it wrong.

I would suggest "C-octothorpe" as the most technically correct.

Spoiler

I only stumbled across that word when I was asking "what the He@$ do you call that button on the bottom right of a push button phone?" about the time that push-button phones were coming out into a world of dial telephones.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 32 of 52
(811 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

"C Hash" would probably be way to get it wrong.

Maybe not.   C hash seams like the equivalent of spaghetti code in LabVIEW

Thankfully, I am from Minnesota where we have no accent, dontchno

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 33 of 52
(806 Views)

Or 277.18 Hz... You can even whistle, and every one know what programming language you're using.

But we can do that too! Simply whistle a 391.995 Hz tone, when asked what you're favorite language is!

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 52
(796 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

Thankfully, I am from Minnesota where we have no accent, dontchno

"How's she going eh? I was plaiyin' some hockey with a couple of hosers when one broke me twig.  I told him I was mighty upset eh.  He was quick to say sorry, and say she was a bute.  We made up with a trip to Timmy's about 5 klicks away for some Tim Bits.  He offered me a few toonies for my trouble and it was aboot that time I knew Zed would become my best mate." 

My fake Canadian accent works better when you can hear it.  It's like trying to talk with the sides of my tongue always touching the roof of my mouth.

0 Kudos
Message 35 of 52
(787 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Also I remember calling it "C Pound" for several weeks until someone corrected me.

I would go with C "tic-tac-toe". 😄

(This reminds me of several professionals back in the days pronouncing ASCII as "ASC Two". I guess they got their IT education during the roman empire, but in that case there would still be ambiguity. It could equally well be "AS 102" :D)

Message 36 of 52
(773 Views)

altenbach wrote:

(This reminds me of several professionals back in the days pronouncing ASCII as "ASC Two".  

Oh that's another good one.  I've heard a few people pronounce it Ahh-Ski.  The while majority is Ask-key.

Message 37 of 52
(767 Views)

People, how do you pronounce SCPI? I say often: "tsipii" 😄

0 Kudos
Message 38 of 52
(759 Views)

I wrestled with gif for quite a while.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 39 of 52
(759 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

People, how do you pronounce SCPI? I say often: "tsipii" 😄

I've heard "skippy"

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 52
(749 Views)