LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting Strings by Character Number

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to find a way to differentiate duplicates of files based off of their revision. Two files are the same but of different revision if they have the same file name, but a different suffix (always a capital letter) at the end.

For instance:

ABC123A.xxx

ABC123B.xxx

are both of the same file but of a different revision. 

ABC122A.xxx

ABC123B.xxx

are of different files and different revisions.

My problem is that I need to be able to determine if two files are the same but of different revisions. My idea for a solution was to strip the file extension, then split the remaining string into two, one being n-1 characters long, and the other being 1 character long. Is there a way to do this? All split string methods I've seen so far either require a complete match or a delimiter.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,196 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author reesl

Use "String Subset"

string subset.png

Message 2 of 5
(3,180 Views)

To add to Prettypwnies anser:

GetFileExtension.png

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,150 Views)

get_rev.PNG

Search and Replace string to find the location of your period (start of your file extension), decremented to get the rev digit, and fed into string subset of length 1 to pull out the character of interest.   

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,146 Views)

If the string format is really that easy (and stays that easy) use Scan From String.

Use format specifier "%[A-Z]%d%[A-Z]" (characters in string, number, characters in string), and you'll get the string and number as output (extract to get 3 outputs). Optionally, use "%[A-Z]%d%[A-Z].%s" to also get the extension.

Once you have the results, you can either use a set (new in LV2019), variant attributes or an array to spot duplicates. Not sure if that's the showstopper, but we can help once you're there.

File Format.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,126 Views)