LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot see the block diagram when i open the vi

Hi,

Till yesterday, I have made changes to the block diagram of the VI i was working on.

Suddenly, the block diagram is not accessible. What could cause this? The front end seems working perfectly fine. I just cant access the back end. 

I have some important stuff in that file. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,896 Views)

If we were standing by your computer, we would ask that you "let us try".  Why don't you attach the VI that you cannot open, tell us which version of LabVIEW you are using, and "let us try" -- if we are successful, we promise to return your (now repaired) VI to you.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,886 Views)

Hi,

here is the VI. 

I am using 2018 version.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,884 Views)

@siril01 wrote:

Hi,

Till yesterday, I have made changes to the block diagram of the VI i was working on.

Suddenly, the block diagram is not accessible. What could cause this? The front end seems working perfectly fine. I just cant access the back end. 

Important enough that you have a source code repository that you regularly commit your changes to?  Best to wear your seat belt before you get into an accident!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,845 Views)

@siril01 wrote:

Hi,

Why?  I can't be sure, but it seems like someone may have saved this file with the option to not save the block diagram.

If not, then somehow the file was corrupted during a save operation.  But since otherwise the file seems to be opening okay, just no block diagram, I think it is the former.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,830 Views)

Which repo do you suggest?

Does github work well with LABVIEW files?

I gotta setup something cause this thing happened to me twice and I had to do the entire control design from scratch.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,822 Views)

Perhaps you accidentally set the VI to "Run Mode"? To revert click Operate -> Change to Edit Mode, or alternatively use the shortcut Ctrl + M

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,818 Views)

Hi siril,

open your VI. Then

1. Open the "Windows" menu: the option to open the block diagram window is grayed out, which suggest you removed the block diagram. (It's your fault.)

2. Open the VI properties and go to the "Memory usage" tab: no memory for any block diagram items, which suggests you removed the block diagram. (It's your fault.)

cause this thing happened to me twice and I had to do the entire control design from scratch.

So you already did that failure before - and still you don't use any backups (not even a simple ZIP of the project each day?) or use a full SCC system?

Come on: doing an error once is ok. But doing the same error twice…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 8 of 10
(2,813 Views)

@siril01 wrote:

Which repo do you suggest?

Does github work well with LABVIEW files?

I gotta setup something cause this thing happened to me twice and I had to do the entire control design from scratch.

I've used SVN with the TSVN front end.  It works well, especially if you set your LabVIEW projects (and their files) to separate the compiled code from source.

However, that's just my personal preference.  I think it's more important that you have a repo, not which flavor it is.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,802 Views)

Switched from SVN to Git, also using GitHub. All work fine. I don't use LabVIEW IDE integration.

Make sure you configure Git to (and SVN to be sure) to tread LV files as binary files. We don't want Git to merge them!

See LabVIEW-and-git and (different) LabVIEW-and-git.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,772 Views)