From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a VISA refnum between two while loops.

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Ben and Jeff! I do not want to argue over trifles. I have been working with Labview since 1998 🙂 And I am well aware of most methods of building projects. If the questioner does not know the basics of building a project in a Labview environment, you should not complicate learning.

Labview 4.0, 5.0, 6.1, 8.6, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014
If you do not know something, ask me.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 26
(757 Views)

@Ben wrote:

@Borjomy wrote:

If the project is small, then it makes no sense to equip the library. This is an extra work. The main thing is that the exchange with devices connected to one VISA device should be done in one VI

All projects start small. What Jeff was suggesting is a Best Practice that I agree with strongly.

Thank you,

Ben

In parable form

You'd be surprised how many times you can re-use those simple libraries. Or create one from a CUSTOM Project Template that needs only minor changes.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 22 of 26
(753 Views)

Spoiler
Borjomy wrote:

Dear Ben and Jeff! I do not want to argue over trifles. I have been working with Labview since 1998 🙂 And I am well aware of most methods of building projects. If the questioner does not know the basics of

building a project in a Labview environment, you should not complicate learning.

OK, I'll trust you on that one. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 26
(746 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

You'd be surprised how many times you can re-use those simple libraries. Or create one from a CUSTOM Project Template that needs only minor changes.

It all depends on how much the same projects and equipment used. If the project is large and long, there is absolutely no point in doing the Template in order to reuse it. Easier to copy. If there are differences (and they will certainly be), then it will have to be re-written. Especially for a beginner. This code will be rewritten ten times before it takes shape. And generally speaking. Topicstarter most likely communicates with devices on Modbus Serial, we just need to offer him the appropriate library so that he does not invent a bicycle.

NI-MODBUS-Library 1.2.1

Labview 4.0, 5.0, 6.1, 8.6, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014
If you do not know something, ask me.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 26
(745 Views)

@Borjomy wrote:

I have been working with Labview since 1998 🙂

That means nothing.  I have worked with several people who have been working with LabVIEW for a very long time and they are horrible coders (one even refuses to use an Event Structure).

Telling people to ignore best practices is just a bad thing.  I understand wanting to try to shield newbies from a lot of details, but they at least need to have the ideas in their head to think about with the next project.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 25 of 26
(725 Views)

Thanks for all your input. I think it is an interesting discussion. However, personally I think the more information you can get the better. I'll just filter it for the most relevant information. This means it might not be applicable at this moment, but next time one may remember "Wait, the guys from the forum told something about libraries" . Which makes you dig into the NI information and forum topics about the topic. 

Again, thank you all

Message 26 of 26
(711 Views)