LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove the stacked sequence structure from LabVIEW.

If you look at old posts and very very old LabVIEW examples and drivers (like LabVIEW 3) you will notice horrible code based on SSS inside SSS inside SSS.

The SSS was the single most abused LabVIEW feature. It's the first thing most LabVIEW beginners turned to when they came from some text programming and wanted to force LabVIEW into submission to do the same sequential logic that text programming so profoundly forced on them.

It can be useful in a few very limited and isolated use cases but that doesn't weight up against the abuse it promoted by the mere existence in the palette. So it got removed from the palette for a good reason and if you really want to use it you can, but if that extra step of right clicking on a FSS is to much, it probably isn't that important of a feature. Smiley Very Happy

I can't remember when I last used the SSS, I stopped using it as soon as the FSS was available and didn't use it much before that either.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 181 of 195
(1,262 Views)

I find that the more sequence locals you use, the more the SSS becomes a hopeless, jumbled mess with backwards running wires, making it hard to read.  With almost no extra effort, you can instead create a state machine that does the same exact thing, is neater, and is much more versatile and scalable.

I have to say that I've never even considered using one before.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 182 of 195
(1,258 Views)

LOL, I guess it has been a very long time since I last used a SSS, hadn't even noticed it was missing, didn't know the right click on FSS frame trick. As a previous post mentioned, it was in the earliest LabVIEW examples (2.5.2 was my earliest exposure), when even the creators of LabVIEW didn't really know what they had, so many early LabVIEW programmers were exposed bad techniques from the start, particularly those coming from a text based programming world, who hadn't yet wrapped their heads around data flow and making sub-vi's with error in/out to help force data flow. I do occasionally use the FSS, usually a single frame to, as another early post mentioned, force data flow on those legacy primitives, like timers, that don't have error in/out.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 183 of 195
(1,248 Views)

Here's a situation where a FSS doesn't work as well as a SSSSmiley Very Happy:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Block-Diagram-is-not-working-properly/td-p/3719945

/S

Good thing it's less easily available.

Message 184 of 195
(1,080 Views)

Well the OP didn't hear of another rule I am pretty strict about:

If the diagram doesn't fit on a screen it is to big and you should start "carefully" (that does explicitly not mean randomly selecting multiple nodes and applying "Create SubVI") creating sub VIs.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 185 of 195
(1,072 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Well the OP didn't hear of another rule I am pretty strict about:

If the diagram doesn't fit on a screen it is to big and you should start "carefully" (that does explicitly not mean randomly selecting multiple nodes and applying "Create SubVI") creating sub VIs.

That's good advice.

I'm not too strict about that myself (also just pretty strict). If code is a sequence I don't mind too much that it is programmed as a sequence. If each step is "singular", creating sub VI's might just obfuscate things. A state machine doesn't help either, it's not a state machine, it's a sequence. It happens with reporting VI's and such. Step 1, Step 2..Step 10 are all stand alone actions, and grouping them in any way would be arbitrary. Guess this situation is why you said "pretty strict", not 100% strict. This is nothing like OP's situation...

In this case, it would easily fit one screen if those careful sub VI's where created, in combination with a few loops and structures.

Fitting the screen is the ideal and should be the goal.

0 Kudos
Message 186 of 195
(1,066 Views)

Ok, whose screen should I fit it to?

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 187 of 195
(1,055 Views)

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

1024px-New_york_times_square-terabass.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 188 of 195
(1,052 Views)

@Blokk wrote:

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

Mine of course.

I know it spoils the joke, but changes are none of those screens have more pixels then a decent laptop. The pixels are huge, so the screens a huge, the number of pixels is probably not that high.

0 Kudos
Message 189 of 195
(1,048 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

This is nothing like OP's situation...

In this case, it would easily fit one screen if those careful sub VI's where created, in combination with a few loops and structures.

Thought this was a post in the other thread. Doesn't make much sense in this one.

EDIT: Never mind. The contexts are mixed anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 190 of 195
(1,046 Views)