LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real Time 3D Surface/Graph

Solved!
Go to solution

I am trying to construct a 3D surface graph from incoming data from ultrasonic sensors using the myDAQ. I have currently created a randomly generated Z array with fixed X and Y values, however I am wondering how to create a more real time version of this graph by creating the inputs for the z coordinates when x is (0,0) and Y is (0,0) in increments of 1 point. I am a complete newbie to labview and even our university lecturer doesn't know how to use the software. I have uploaded the vi for the randomly generated 3d surface. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,707 Views)

I cannot open the VI as I don't have a new enough version of LabVIEW installed, but you could take a look at this post which might help:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/XYZ-Surface-plot-on-the-go/m-p/3875355#M1098383

I am not sure what is meant by "reating the inputs for the z coordinates when x is (0,0) and Y is (0,0) in increments of 1 point" can you give some more detail.

0xDEAD

Message 2 of 4
(2,700 Views)

@deceased wrote:

I am not sure what is meant by "reating the inputs for the z coordinates when x is (0,0) and Y is (0,0) in increments of 1 point" can you give some more detail.

Essentially my group and I are making a surface mapper and we want to record a specific Z coordinate when the sensor is in a specific place using a rocker/switch and then log each point of data to a set of X,Y coordinates so (0,0), (0,1),(0,2),(0,3)...(0,10) and then go back to (1,0),(1,1),(1,2)...(1,10) until we reach for example (10,10).

Unless there is an easier way of creating a real time surface map I'm unaware of?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,688 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author serialcommunication

Sorry, I only just seen this reply. Hopefully the answer I posted in the other thread helps.

The X and Y coordinates you can pass in to the 3d surface graph as a 1D array of all X values and 1D array of Y values.

The Z heights you pass in as a 2D array of size (X by Y) of heights corresponding to the X and Y.

For example, plotting a flat plane of height 1 at X = 0,1,2 and Y=0,1,2

X is array

[0,1,2]

Y is array

[0,1,2]

Z is 2d array (3x3 in size)

[1,1,1]

[1,1,1]

[1,1,1]

To dynamically update values, you can start with the Z array as an array of NaN and replace them as you go along.

0xDEAD

Message 4 of 4
(2,647 Views)