LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Roadmap (2022)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The SubVI Node Setup (right above the Enable Database Access menu) does a great job at that too.

Yeah, but enabling the Suspend When Called from that dialog is a great debug tool.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 81 of 105
(2,308 Views)

@billko wrote:

Didn't someone complain recently (a week or two ago) that the database access had problems with binary data, or was that something else?

I remember faintly something but that was AFAIK about actually storing and retrieving binary data (BLOB) into a actual database. And yes that can be troublesome as different databases may treat this differently and depending on what access interface you use (ODBC, ADO/DAO. DB.Net) things can be different how you need to deal with that.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 82 of 105
(2,284 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

The SubVI Node Setup (right above the Enable Database Access menu) does a great job at that too.

Yeah, but enabling the Suspend When Called from that dialog is a great debug tool.

I can see that. Never got used to it, but now I rediscovered it I might give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 83 of 105
(2,236 Views)

The support for .NET5 is long overdue, may this lead to a better availability of features on some Linux desktops?
Well we will soon get .NET7 or so... maybe it would be better to focus on a different common runtime as a target like wasm/wasi?

Researcher @ Gdańsk University of Technology
Python enthusiast
0 Kudos
Message 84 of 105
(2,099 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Not only should obsolete IDE stuff be removed (even at the cost of backward compatibility), functions should be removed from the core.

I see they started. Slowly the legacy code pieces are being trashed. In LabVIEW 2020 several internal functions of the C Generator were removed, the module was obsoleted. Now in LabVIEW 2022 Q3 all the Device Manager functions are gone (DevOpen, DevCtrlStat, DevWrtRd, DevAbort, ProdDriver, DevClose; they were mostly used for serpdrv - pre-VISA serial port driver). The LockFlat and UnlockUnflat functions were stubbed earlier in LV 2019. Besides the 64-bit version no longer has the CINs load and link chain, therefore impossible not only to create a new CIN, but to use an existing one as well. I'd be surprised, if anyone ever used that, but anyway. The 32-bit version is untouched so far. What else?..

2022-07-27_17-29-37.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 85 of 105
(1,943 Views)

The Device Manager was mostly an interface around the Mac OS Classic device manager interface. The Windows version was a rather hacky implementation based on the same external code architecture used for CINs and external CTRLs. It was only used to add support for serial ports, and I think initially one more interface but not sure which, in a way to be compatible to the Macintosh.

Yes LabVIEW 3 and 4 had an interface that allowed external controls that were in a way similar to CINs. They were basically ctrl files with an extra code resource that would directly add a C (yes fully object oriented programming in standard C for the LabVIEW object implementation with hand coded assembly dynamic dispatch code) object interface to the internal LabVIEW object table for front panel controls. There were a few object slots reserved for such objects and it was not dynamically resizable. I believe that the first implementation of the Picture Control was actually released as such an external control. It was however a problematic interface as it required access into many LabVIEW internal APIs and global variables to be operational at all, so the interface was disabled in LabVIEW 5 (and many of the private manager exports needed to support such a control) and pretty much completely removed in LabVIEW 6 and 7.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 86 of 105
(1,785 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

and I think initially one more interface but not sure which, in a way to be compatible to the Macintosh.

gpibdrv and daqdrv have shared the same architecture as I recall from my earlier investigations. But the VI wrappers for those drivers always had their diagrams removed, so no one had a chance to look at how they worked internally in contrast to serpdrv. Some years ago I even managed to compile my own test driver and successfully went through all the entry points. I admit that serpdrv had a kind of a tricky mechanisme to work, based on the occurrences and the handlers. There was an interesting implementation of asynchronous operations, reminding some standard callback but with LV's own synchronization instruments. I also found few bugs in the Device Manager API, including odd behaviour of the Open Device VI on early Mac's, due to which some native PB... functions couldn't be called properly from the LV diagram. Despite this I was able to read/write the files and the drives, eject a CD tray, send gestalts and do other funny things with those yellow nodes only!

0 Kudos
Message 87 of 105
(1,760 Views)

@EricR wrote:

Starting a new thread with the attached PDF for LabVIEW Roadmap discussions. I'll point other threads over here for reference. NI created this view so that we could specifically share with all LabVIEW users. We agree that showing this in some way is a useful communication tool.

So now that LabVIEW 2022 Q3 is released, is there an updated roadmap?

It would probably be a good idea to just make a KB article that gets updated after each release.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 88 of 105
(1,602 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

It would probably be a good idea to just make a KB article that gets updated after each release.

What makes you think there will be future releases?

Message 89 of 105
(1,580 Views)

@labview-crash wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

What makes you think there will be future releases?

Some little fairies told me there will be certainly some more releases. 😁

Unfortunately it is very hard to get any official statement from NI nowadays, even if it would be in their interest to be more specific about future plans.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 90 of 105
(1,562 Views)