LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handy LabVIEW samurai tip #7

Text-based programming languages use vertical execution order because lines of text take up far less space when stacked vertically. The same is true for LabVIEW block objects that contain text. These objects tend to be much wider than they are tall, and take up less space if arranged vertically.

So why is LabVIEW data flow set left-to-right to encourage horizontal arrangement of wide segments of text? It’s because LabVIEW was developed by 14th century samurai, who used tategaki, or ‘vertical writing’.

So next time your block diagram stretches a little too far horizontally, try using the ancient Japanese warrior font that LabVIEW was originally developed in. Just go to Tools/ Options / Block Diagram and select “enable samurai tategaki”.

Message Edited by Root Canal on 01-29-2009 03:13 PM

global variables make robots angry

Message 1 of 16
(11,415 Views)

excellent     :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

CLAD / Labview 2011, Win Xp
------------------------------------------------------
Mission d'une semaine- à plusieurs mois laissez moi un MP...
RP et Midi-pyrénées .Km+++ si possibilité de télétravail

Kudos always accepted / Les petits clicks jaunes sont toujours appréciés
Don't forget to valid a good answer / pensez à valider une réponse correcte
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(11,396 Views)

I don't think your original statement "Text-based programming languages use vertical execution order because lines of text take up far less space when stacked vertically" is valid, and I'd like to see a reference for this claim, but... I thought the rest of the post was friggin hilarious! Awesome.

Clearly the Japanese were WAY ahead of us! Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(11,392 Views)

Cha-ching! 🙂 🙂

I never did understand the red/blue wires going into the addition primitive for the LabVIEW logo. What data type are they? Must have been a sales/marketing call for aesthetics.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 4 of 16
(11,358 Views)

Interesting, but it runs counter to a theory that Socratis Kalogrianitis (the original host of the Info-LabVIEW group) shared with me many years ago. It was his position that LabVIEW was actually the primary software development environment utilized by the ancient Greeks. And I must say his logic was flawless...

Consider that the word "programming" comes from two Greek roots: "pro" meaning "before" and "gramma" meaning writing. So the root meaning of the word is "before writing".

Now what came before writing? Well drawing pictures, of course.

And how do we create LV programs? by drawing pictures!

And there you are...

Mike...

Root Canal does have nicer graphics though...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 5 of 16
(11,340 Views)
I don't think I've ever laughed so much about anything LabVIEW!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(11,330 Views)

Excellent Root!

Where can we find article 1-6* ?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(11,281 Views)
Can "Zen and the Art of VI Maintenance" be far behind?

Data Science Automation

CTA, CLA, CLED
SHAZAM!
Message 8 of 16
(11,192 Views)

Leave it to a Samurai to figure out how to drastically cut software development time....

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
Message 9 of 16
(11,180 Views)

mikeporter wrote:

LabVIEW was actually the primary software development environment utilized by the ancient Greeks. And I must say his logic was flawless...

Although i am Greek, I had never thought it Smiley Very Happy

Nice Mike...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(11,109 Views)