cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate One Pulse Per Second in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm fairly new to LabVIEW and am trying to simulate a GPS 1PPS signal in LabVIEW for automation. I was able to get the 10 us pulse I needed, I just can't quite figure out how to get it to repeat the pulse every second that is needed.

I've attached my VI. I was able to use a LabVIEW example to help me get this far, just need to find a way to keep this running continuously.

Thanks so much for the assistance. Hopefully I'm just overthinking it.

Regards,

Liz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,157 Views)

I don't think you'll get anywhere near the accuracy you'll need if you are to truly emulate a 1 PPS signal from a GPS.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,145 Views)

Maybe use an arbitrary waveform generator?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,142 Views)

Hi Bill,

I could try that. I was hoping a timing function would help me repeat it every second. Do you think that would be possible the way I currently have it set up?

Regards,

Liz

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,127 Views)

Well, as I mentioned before, if this is supposed to emulate a true 1 PPS signal, I don't think Windows is accurate enough to give you what you are looking for.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,085 Views)

It's supposed to simulate the signal more than emulate it. I could tell right away working with LabVIEW that simulating a true GPS 1 PPS signal would be impossible. But if I can figure out how to get it to repeat at 1PPS that would be 99% of my battle.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,059 Views)

Two thing to help you get more help. 😉

List the hardware you are using and have available.

Save your VI in an older version (2018 or so) to allow people that don't have the latest LabVIEW to open your file and comment.

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,052 Views)

There is no hardware in this case. Just a simulation. I'm actually simulating a way to replace a piece of hardware that produces the signal.

No problem! I've attached a 2018 version copy. Hope this helps. Thank you for the assistance!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,047 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DRS_Liz

I removed the cluster stuff you were doing and wired right to the build waveform and I think it does what you think you want. 🤔  However, I don't understand how "simulating" a pulse is meaningful.  You will still need to select hardware and then decide how you want to generate an actual signal depending on the abilities and limitations of that hardware.  I suggest you look at some examples to see the various methods you can use.

Help > Find Examples... Hardware In and Out > DAQmx > Digital Output

You could also look into the Analog Output stuff or try searching for "Pulse".

I also found this thread:  https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Pulse-Generator/td-p/1744408

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,031 Views)

One more thing.  Since we're talking simulations you can simulate many DAQ devices in NI-MAX and "use them" in your LabVIEW code.  In NI-MAX right-click Devices and Interfaces > Create New...  Double-click the Simulated devices options and you can choose a bunch of DAQ hardware.  It's limited of course but lets you try out code for hardware you don't really have.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,026 Views)