LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete or replace (NOT append) TDMS Channel data

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to delete channel data that has already been written to a TDMS file?

Just writting the new data tot channel data appears to append the new to the old.

I don't see a way of deleting OR replacing the old dat with the new.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 1 of 14
(7,950 Views)

There isn't a way. Options you have:

1. Copy the data into a new file and leave out the channel to delete.
  2. Include a custom property for channels that indicates the "real" starting offset for channel data. Then to "delete" channel data, you set the real offset property to be the current channel length. Then when reading the channel, instead of starting at zero, you check the real offset property. Your files will be bloated, and may need a special reader function to distinguish the data, but it will work.
Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 2 of 14
(7,938 Views)
I know this is an older issue. Has this been changed in newer versions of Labview?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(7,547 Views)

In LabVIEW 2010 look under File IO>>TDM Streaming>> Advanced TDMS.

This might contain what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(7,539 Views)

Nope, still seems like there isn't a way to do it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(7,448 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben

Hi markza,

Check out this example and see if it is what you need:

http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-5735 (Delete single TDMS Channel from an existing TDMS File)

Have a great day,

Chris

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 14
(7,436 Views)

Thank you Chris but...

You should go explain to Jarod why his solution count just went down by one. Smiley Wink

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 14
(7,429 Views)

You know what's sad, Ben, is I was the one who wrote those TDM -> TDMS and TDMS -> TDM conversion VIs that the poster used in the example to delete a TDMS channel.

Jarrod S.
National Instruments
Message 8 of 14
(7,408 Views)

@jarrod S. wrote:

You know what's sad, Ben, is I was the one who wrote those TDM -> TDMS and TDMS -> TDM conversion VIs that the poster used in the example to delete a TDMS channel.

All is not lost.

Repost with a link to the same solution. That way I can mark your new reply so new users will find the example with a double bonus of you re-taking that solution and picking up some more Kudos along the way.

Go for it!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(7,399 Views)

Can you upload detail explanations of new TDMS functions in LabVIEW 2011 or 2010?

I am considering the upgrade for TDMS function.

Labmaster

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(7,245 Views)