LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling a read-only DLL from LabVIEW 2011

We have created a number of DLLs using Visual Studio, and call them using call library function nodes in LabVIEW 2011.  Everything works well until we check our DLLs into ClearCase (which makes them read-only).  If we subsequently check them out (making them writable) everything goes back to working as expected.

This only happens in the development environment.  When we build our code into an executable the DLLs aren't required to be writable.

Has anyone else observed this? and if so, is there some kind of work-around?

Thanks in advance for your input.

David Dupont

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,494 Views)

Can you configure ClearCase to leave the files alone on check in?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(2,465 Views)

Do you know for sure exactly what ClearCase does to the DLLs?

I.e. does it just set the "read-only" attribute on the DLLs, or does it do something more aggressive like opening a file handle and refusing to release it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,457 Views)

David@Work wrote:

We have created a number of DLLs using Visual Studio, and call them using call library function nodes in LabVIEW 2011.  Everything works well until we check our DLLs into ClearCase (which makes them read-only).  If we subsequently check them out (making them writable) everything goes back to working as expected.

What error do you get? E.g. what's not working?

Are those .NET dlls, ActiveX dlls or plain dlls?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,442 Views)

They are plain DLLs, and we get a "Generic Error" dialog when trying to access any function in them.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,420 Views)

ClearCase is source control.  It's setting read only on the files that are checked in.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,419 Views)

Pretty sure I cannot.  Besides if I could that would completely defeat the purpose of a source control application like ClearCase.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,418 Views)

David@Work wrote:

Pretty sure I cannot.  Besides if I could that would completely defeat the purpose of a source control application like ClearCase.

Posting remarks without reference to what you're replying to makes it really hard to follow the conversation.

I think you're referring to the remark that you could disable read only on VIs? SVN doesn't do that at all, at least not by default. At least I never noticed (, not missed this).

Not sure why a dll call would fail if a dll is set to read only...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,411 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

David@Work wrote:

Posting remarks without reference to what you're replying to makes it really hard to follow the conversation.

I think you're referring to the remark that you could disable read only on VIs? SVN doesn't do that at all, at least not by default. At least I never noticed (, not missed this).

Not sure why a dll call would fail if a dll is set to read only...

My bad, I don't use this board much and didn't notice the Quote button.  Sorry for the confusion.  This reply was in response to the comment about setting up ClearCase to NOT set read only on checked in files.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,408 Views)