LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Button/Boolean mouse hover not working on 64 Bit LabVIEW

The other problem might be memory deallocation.

As this turns on and off for me during development, and apparently 50\50% during startup for others, this could be due to Windows moving LabVIEW memory. This in combination with 64 bit pointers...

That could be nonsense, I've lost track of the low level stuff when SSE was introduced.

0 Kudos
Message 41 of 66
(4,783 Views)

I'm firmly with Zyga on this.  The behavior is extremely annoying and the issue has been out there for over a year without being resolved.  There are specific reasons that I'm using 64-bit LabVIEW, so I can't just switch to 32-bit.  When applications are delivered to customers and basic things like the mouse hover effects don't work properly, it strongly feeds into the notion that LabVIEW isn't a "real" solution for developing applications.  Even if the issue isn't a show stopper, it is detrimental to the reputation of LabVIEW and to all of us as developers.

Message 42 of 66
(4,764 Views)

@D_Hooks wrote:

I'm firmly with Zyga on this.  The behavior is extremely annoying and the issue has been out there for over a year without being resolved.  There are specific reasons that I'm using 64-bit LabVIEW, so I can't just switch to 32-bit.  When applications are delivered to customers and basic things like the mouse hover effects don't work properly, it strongly feeds into the notion that LabVIEW isn't a "real" solution for developing applications.  Even if the issue isn't a show stopper, it is detrimental to the reputation of LabVIEW and to all of us as developers.

No one has been able to reliably reproduce the issue; how can you fix what you don't understand?

A bug like this does make me frown, though.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 43 of 66
(4,749 Views)

@billko wrote:

@D_Hooks wrote:

I'm firmly with Zyga on this.  

So am I.

@billko wrote:No one has been able to reliably reproduce the issue; how can you fix what you don't understand?

A bug like this does make me frown, though.

NI did reply that they where able to reproduce. Not reliably, but still. At least it's a 'only in the wild' bug. That would make it much harder.

Message 44 of 66
(4,727 Views)

Hey there,

I totally agree. A GUI bug like this one shouldn't be that hard to fix (that's why I started this topic). As a workaround, I switched all my boolean controls to the "Silver" based ones. They don't have the hover states (False, False to True, True, True to False). This is definitely not a fix, but at least the users of my software won't get confused by the buttons being stuck on hover states.

Kind Regards,

Milad

0 Kudos
Message 45 of 66
(4,716 Views)

My 'fix' would be to revert to my old solution.

I'm in luck that my mouse hover state is the same image as the true state. So I can actually monitor the mouse enter event, and switch the button to true. On a mouse leave event, I switch back to false.

But that's the old solution, and I did change it for a reason. I'd prefer LV to handle this... I'll wait until I get complaints for the users, it's just decoration in my application.

Message 46 of 66
(4,712 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

NI did reply that they where able to reproduce. Not reliably, but still. At least it's a 'only in the wild' bug. That would make it much harder.

*Sigh* Mend to say: "At least it's NOT a 'only in the wild' bug."

0 Kudos
Message 47 of 66
(4,689 Views)

A GUI bug like this one shouldn't be that hard to fix (that's why I started this topic)

Apparently, bugs like this ARE that hard to fix (that's why NI started NXG)

0 Kudos
Message 48 of 66
(4,677 Views)

Hello everyone,

I know it's quite an old post but I am facing this bug right now.

I have been obliged to move from 32bit to 64bit for memory reasons.

I could not find any information or update on CAR #718053

I’m on LabVIEW 18 64bit with windows 10 Professional. As describe in this post, it happens quite often but unfortunately it appear to be random.

I was writing here to know if by any chance another workaround or fix have been implemented.

0 Kudos
Message 49 of 66
(4,532 Views)

@Nicolas.P wrote:

I was writing here to know if by any chance another workaround or fix have been implemented.

I've not found a way to:

+ reproduce this,

+ prevent it,

+ fix it...

It happens seemingly random, and when it happens it doesn't go away.

A workaround is to manually handle the hovering, by catching the mouse enter\mouse leave events, and switching the boolean value, or showing\hiding another control.

Probably not the news you where hoping for... It is what I had before, and I'll go back to this when my customer notice the bug and wants it fixed.

0 Kudos
Message 50 of 66
(4,526 Views)