From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Object - Draw Cylinder from array data

Solved!
Go to solution

@əʞɐſ wrote:

Awesome, it looks like you have made good progress. What did you learn when you did your "fancy footwork" to make you triangles work? I'd be curious to see if I can get to the point where I can turn any model into something that has correct normals that I can display.

Sorry for not answering sooner.

Basically I look at every data point per slice and pair it with the corresponding points in the next slice up (think like you were 3D printing).

I am not sure how this would work if points did not line up exactly with the layer above it.

A few post above this one I sort of explained the logic behind creating the triangle strips. Essentially you create a point cloud where you use each point multiple times to create the individual triangles. I did this by stepping through the current layer (A) and the next layer (B) and taking point Ai, Ai+1, Bi to make the first triangle then points Ai+1, Bi, Bi+1 to make the second triangle. I then follow that pattern for the entire layer and rinse and repeat for number of layers -1.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(1,561 Views)

Just to let you know that you can use the Haro3D library (free from NI Tools Network) to upload .stl models and have the normals automatically calculated. You can also upload .obj models with texture (as shown below).

Hololens_OBJ_Helicopter (no Hololens)_FP.png

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(1,546 Views)

@MarcDub wrote:

Just to let you know that you can use the Haro3D library (free from NI Tools Network) to upload .stl models and have the normals automatically calculated. You can also upload .obj models with texture (as shown below).

.stl models have the normal information stored in them.

facet normal ni nj nk
    outer loop
        vertex v1x v1y v1z
        vertex v2x v2y v2z
        vertex v3x v3y v3z
    endloop
endfacet

Do you mean that the Haro3D library could take a .stl file with no normal data (i.e. 0, 0, 0) and return the actual normal values?

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(1,536 Views)

Yes, the Mesh_Read function has an input to recalculate or not the normals.

Example_VI_BD.png

When Recalculate normals is true:

Example_VI_FP.png

When it is false:

Example_VI_FP.png

Marc Dubois
Message 24 of 27
(1,526 Views)

Dear Marc!

Does it exist your Haro 3D Library for LV2016 ? 

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(1,280 Views)

@Curr93 wrote:

Dear Marc!

Does it exist your Haro 3D Library for LV2016 ? 

The Haro3D library is compatible with LabVIEW 2016 and later.

Marc Dubois
Message 26 of 27
(1,274 Views)

Dear Marc

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, I have old VIPM version. 

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(1,262 Views)