cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Somil

Measure the time of execution

Hi

Certainly, every body tries to evaluate a vi in terms of performance. This includes the time which a particular code takes to run. We have to use the tick cout vi in order to determine the time of execution.

How about adding an additional button in the  toolbar itself which measures the time taken by a particular code to execute? Smiley Happy

This can certainly be a good feature in LabVIEW!!!

Somil Gautam
Think Weird
9 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

You can use the timed sequence for this - it has an output called Frame Duration.

Also, if you use the JKI RCF, I posted a plugin here which will wrap a piece of code in a timing structure.

Is it like this that for measuring the execution time,  everytime i will have to use a timed sequence?
Somil Gautam
Think Weird
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

No. You can use the standard sequence with the tick count primitives (which is what the link in my post pointed to), but the timed sequence requires less setup.

In any case, if you want to time a block of code, you're going to have to tell it when you want to start and end and the most generic solution is a structure. The only relevant structure really is a sequence structure.

Helpful !!!!!!
Somil Gautam
Think Weird
Knight of NI
This has already been suggested here: Allow a quick "Timing Probe" for Timing Metrics.
Somil
Active Participant
Oh, i didnt know that.
Somil Gautam
Think Weird
Mark_Yedinak
Trusted Enthusiast
If you are looking to time the processing time for an entire VI you can use the profiler.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Also, check out Yair's popular Community Nugget about timing.
G-Money
NI Employee (retired)