LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user2lv

LabVIEW for Android systems

Is LabVIEW available for Android based systems and other touch interface systems.If not how about using LabVIEW for mobile measurements using these systems.

26 Comments
Shagun1215

Dear sir,

Are there any ways or software by which labView code can be directly translated to android code?

@user2lv wrote:

Is LabVIEW available for Android based systems and other touch interface systems.If not how about using LabVIEW for mobile measurements using these systems.

Bill_DuBose

I am aware that a VI is not an executable. My question was just not phrased precisely enough. It was my hope that I could write code in a PC environment that I could upload to a "runtime engine" (for lack of a better word) that would run like an app on my iphone. I envisioned an app that had a top-level interface for running programs that were uploaded via some sort of "loader" on the PC. So I could write the code, compile the executable, upload the program to my iphone, and then open the LabVIEW App, select the executable from a list of programs that I had uploaded to the phone and run it.  It has been over a year since I made this request. I have since learned of the web based programming that would approximate my idea. I have not had time to investigate or learn the architecture required to create web-based programs. I'm not even sure how this would work unless the server for the web-based app was on a WIFI network shared by the iphone. Presumably, the same computer running my main facility HMI would also have a web-based app running concurrently to act as a go-between for the main HMI and the iphone....

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

At this time, we have no way to make native apps for any mobile target. NI's focus for mobile at this time is on web-based access. We do have several existing technologies already announced/released... I am not expert enough to guide you to those.

(A bit of background on me: I'm a member of LV R&D, working on the core IDE and compiler. I keep abreast of work done across NI, but often I can only generally point customers in the right direction. This is one of those times... sorry I'm not more helpful on this topic.)

You don't have to be on the same WIFI for those to work.

> Presumably, the same computer running my main facility HMI would also have

> a web-based app running concurrently to act as a go-between for the main HMI

> and the iphone....

Your main facility HMI would also be updating a running "web service" tied to a public URL that your phones could access.

Post your questions over in the main ni.com forums... they'll be seen by a wider swath of NI folks, including the application engineers who help people understand the techs available from NI.

Bill_DuBose

Thanks for the insight. I'll have to study the web stuff more. My applications are typically for military aircraft manufacturers. When you say, "Public URL", it's about the same thing as showing Dracula the cross... Anything I would do would have to be "in-house" only.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I said "public URL"... I should have said "accessible URL" -- something that the phone can see. If the phone is signed into your VPN or uses your internal wireless, that would work.

Tom_Hawkins

Simulink now has the ability to deploy code to run standalone on Android and iOS devices:

https://uk.mathworks.com/hardware-support.html?q=%22android+support%22+or+apple

I think there's a risk that LabVIEW is failing to keep up with the competition here.