LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil.Pate

Format Painter for FP and BD objects (think Word/Excel format painter)

How about this for a possible improvement.

It would be neat if there was a format painter button somewhere on the toolbar that acts like the format painter in a word processor, this format painter would copy all formatting information from one object (probably a FP control/indicator) to another.

Click on the first object, click on format painter and then click on the second item and viola! the formatting is copied over.

An example of this is setting the numeric format (which takes quite a few clicks to set the significant digits etc). I know its possible to edit properties of multiple similar objects, but this is a bit different.

Maybe this would work on the BD as well?

I think it would probably be possible to do this with JKI's Right Click Framework, looping over all the properties of and setting the destination the same as the target.

14 Comments
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I see that you have gotten slightly more traction than I did here.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Property-quot-Eye-dropper-quot-tool/idc-p/1002232#C274...

I wanted this before I had the ability to edit the properties of multiple objects, but I still like it because I use a similar tool in other programs and find it indispensable. 

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Darin,

Your idea slipped under my radar, and the search I did before posting my question didn't bring it up. Your idea is essentially the same as mine, and you beat me to it by 2 months :-). 

I agree with you this is a nifty tool to have at our disposal.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
Searches are hit-or-miss and often depend on the jargon used.  Just wish I could bring more Kudos to the table to join forces....
Neil.Pate
Active Participant
Actually I think there is a way, if we ask Laura to combine the posts or delete mine and add the kudos to yours. I don't really mind as long as the idea is (hopefully!) implemented.
jacemdom
Active Participant
Laura F.
Active Participant

I'm going to mark the other idea as a duplicate since this one has more Kudos.  There isn't currently a way to combine ideas and keep the Kudos count.

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant

Please Kudo this suggestion. I think it's a great idea and should be seriously investigated by NI for future implementation. Perhaps in 2012.

I'd also like to see some programmatic support as well. Via a scripting property perhaps. Copy and paste properties. It should be smart so that it ignores incompatible properties instead of failing.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
F._Schubert
Active Participant

I'm a bit wondering how many types of objects (Childs of GObj) this should include. I think if it's working with Decoration and ChildClasses Txt, NumTxt almost all cases are covered (Caption, Unit-Lables, Lables, Data-Fields, Comments).

Felix

rgvdh@rdf

I'm a bit wondering how many types of objects (Childs of GObj) this should include.

All of them?

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I so need this for Display Format of Numerics...