LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil.Pate

Format Painter for FP and BD objects (think Word/Excel format painter)

How about this for a possible improvement.

It would be neat if there was a format painter button somewhere on the toolbar that acts like the format painter in a word processor, this format painter would copy all formatting information from one object (probably a FP control/indicator) to another.

Click on the first object, click on format painter and then click on the second item and viola! the formatting is copied over.

An example of this is setting the numeric format (which takes quite a few clicks to set the significant digits etc). I know its possible to edit properties of multiple similar objects, but this is a bit different.

Maybe this would work on the BD as well?

I think it would probably be possible to do this with JKI's Right Click Framework, looping over all the properties of and setting the destination the same as the target.

14 Comments
Jimmej

I can't believe this doesnt already exist.. so time consuming...

MattI

I second (i.e., agree with) so many of the comments!

Especially the one on 7/26/13 by Jimmej "I can't believe this doesnt already exist.. so time consuming...".

It is indeed SO time-consuming to manually or programmatically change each and every aspect of the format for each control!  Sometimes a dozen things need to be changed to re-format a control, and if you have lots of controls to change, that's a lot of work!

AlexElb

13 years later... any updates, NI?

Proud developer at Hampel Software Engineering where we turn '404 not found' into '200 OK'. Join us on Discord
Petru_Tarabuta

+1. A Format Painter would be extremely useful. Similarly, the Eye Dropper tool proposed by Darin.K.

These ideas request features that other applications (e.g. Microsoft Office suite) implemented literally decades ago. The ideas represent "low hanging fruit" - functionality that should be straight-forward to implement while providing significant benefits.

This idea was posted almost 14.5 years ago. As a long time LabVIEW user, it's frustrating to see that such basic features have been requested such a long time ago, have gathered a large number of kudos (109 kudos at moment of writing), and are asking for functionality that is taken for granted in most other applications. Despite all this, the idea has not yet been implemented! What more can we (committed users) do to ask for features? Why did this idea never become a priority? Why did it never become a user story or a sprint?

NI, we're not asking for AI code assistants. We're asking for basic stuff. Please listen to your committed users!

Petru_Tarabuta_0-1710886066165.png