LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drouilhet

Extremely small pointers in Labview

Is anyone at NI paying attention to this thread?  https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Extremely-small-cursors-on-both-the-front-panel-and-the-block/m-p/3...

It is a very serious problem and it needs a solution fast!

Steve Drouilhet
12 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Personally, this is the first time I've heard of the problem, but reading the thread, it looks like at least someone at NI is aware of the problem. Still, it doesn't hurt to rattle the cages from another direction. 🙂 I don't work on UI issues most of the time, but I'll flag it for those who do. Too late to do anything for LV 2018 probably -- I'm guessing some refactoring is in order -- but maybe it can get some attention soon. Thanks for flagging it.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Of course the OP is not an idea, but a bug report.

The solution, allow larger\custom cursor sizes is duplicate:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Change-Increase-Cursor-size-within-LabVIEW/idi-p/1732...

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Nope. It's an idea. It's a suggestion to add support for higher resolution screens. The code is currently working correctly as designed. It does not work in new circumstances that go beyond the original design. That's not a bug. That's a new feature. It's no different from supporting a new version of a software standard.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Guess we'll have to discuss "it's a new feature, not a bug" over a bear someday.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Bugs are a promise of functionality that LV R&D made and failed to keep. Feature requests are requests for the platform to continue expanding over time.

This request may be something LV needs to change in order to remain competitive, and LV may not be meeting customer expectations, but it is functioning exactly as designed when run on the machines for which it was designed. "LabVIEW doesn't run on new Windows Version XYZ" would also be a feature request -- some feature requests are business critical and time sensitive.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Note: That's my personal distinction in the definitions, not an NI-wide thing. I'm sure opinions vary.

wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Bugs are a promise of functionality that LV R&D made and failed to keep.

I get your point. From a user perspective, LabVIEW should run "properly" on Windows 10. Now "properly" is debateable... After all it runs as expected (by NI, not by the users). I'd say the high res screens are something a customer expects to work, while technically it's a new feature. A lot of users would call this a bug. I guess we're more or less on the same page here.

I'm not an expert on administrative tasks, but I think a CAR wouldn't be out of place... It might not be a fully qualified bug, it is at least an issue that can\should be tracked.

"A suggestion to add support for higher resolution screens"... Now that's an idea! It's not in the OP. My "idea" to solve the mentioned problem was to make cursor sized flexible. That's a different idea, already posted years ago (2011). It would have helped if an exact idea was posted, not just implied. Not sure what I'm voting for...

The "idea" to me is a plug so the (known) "problem get's solved" (OP's words). I just don't think it's a great idea to post links to forum topics just so they get solved faster.

Anyway, NI will look into it and that's what's important.

Enrico_Segre
Active Participant
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

Still think this should be a CAR.

User002
Not applicable

If we call this a bug and issue a CAR there's not really a mechanism for people to kudo the idea. I'd say leave it here, but I like AristosQueue's suggestion that the feature is really, "Add high-resolution display support". This is an incredibly annoying bug for those of us working on a laptop made in recent years. Most of them have high-res displays. Monitors are going that way too.