LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdusing

Expose Control "Parts" References as Array of Decorations in Control Property Node

There's a lot you can do with LabVIEW to improve the appearance of the UI.  The community has really helped move the LabVIEW UI frontier forward with many wonderful UI palettes and tools to improve UI creation and customization.  One key limitation to all of this though is that LabVIEW controls are comprised of parts that are NOT programmatically accessible.

This is a large drawback since it prevents developers from creating dynamic UIs.  For example, you cannot really add a good "Dark Mode" feature without designing specifically for dark mode because Frames and other control components are not customizable at runtime.

Control Parts.png

Steven Dusing
CLA, CTA
1 Comment
wiebe@CARYA
Knight of NI

@sdusing wrote:

One key limitation to all of this though is that LabVIEW controls are comprised of parts that are NOT programmatically accessible.

Not easily anyway 😉... This idea would improve things...

I see a few technical difficulties though. Changing the color is pretty innocent, but hiding and resizing parts will be a problem.  Changing the individual parts does not automatically 'fix' the hole, like customize control does. Changing the part state does not inform the parent, and the effect won't be what you'd expect.

I'll +1 anyway, but I think it will be too problematic. Maybe as a scripting property?