From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sil3nc3r

Direct access to Plot Visible property on plot legend

Available in LabVIEW 2011

It'd be usefull for develloper and especially application user to improve graph control by adding to Graph direct access to Plot Visible property on plot legend.

For the time being, you have to go to color and choose transparent or to change visible property dynamically.

I propose control like that ... but we could find another idea to access Visible property.

All plot visible Selected plots visible

24 Comments
elset191
Active Participant
Nice.  I've written this, and many of the other ideas, myself (and I'm sure most people have).  Not sure why I never think to suggest them.
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

What about just a context menu? I like the idea of toggling visibility easily, but I don't like muddying up the Plot Legend:

PlotVisible.png

Sil3nc3r

Why not ! I just suggest one way to access property easily in graph control, but menu it's also ok 🙂 

but it has to be in the right place in the menu because I believe that the common user that didn't know good LV graph is not using easily context menu (right click is really a computer scientist reflex !)

Lot of my 'end users' have not enough computer scientist reflex and always ask

"how could I make this plot not visible ?"

altenbach
Knight of NI
I would prefer if the plot legend would show the original color of the hidden line, and not turn blank when a plot is hidden.
Mads
Active Participant

Checkboxes are much better than a context menu - it's more intuitive and quicker. Hiding plots is something people need to do quite often. 

In addition the context menu contains so many ways of messing up the plots that it's often better to not give the user's direct access to it.

silmaril

I think it should definitively be in the context menu, since alle the properties can be found there.

But there should also be the possibility show the check mark next to the plot legend, since this is exactly the way  I have programmed it several times alread and will do several more times until this comes as a part of LV.

In short: please give us both options!

IanW
Active Participant
I use a checkbox with most of my charts and graphs. Very often I need a scroll bar, so for me, it would need to work with the scroll bar too. For now I have to use an array of clusters – colour, label and tick box. I’ve never been happy with the appearance, so the suggestion by Sil3nc3r would be a great idea.
Sil3nc3r

Thanks for your support IanW, I devellop myself some type sensitive dynamic cell popup  (based on TSPopup librairie from LAVA) to make my self plot legend list and properties in a multicolumn listbox. 

Something like that ...

Type sensitive Graph properties 

Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

I would like to have it always in the context menu AND a checkbox that could be choosen in the visible section like scroll bars and legends (AND keep the colors!)

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Snamprogetti
Active Participant
+1 to checkboxes. I've had to create them manually a lot of times